Bowl fired on rim?

1 hour ago, terrim8 said:

Hi,

I want to fire a bowl on its rim and not get any distortion - is using a waster how this is done?

That's how I do the lids for my domed butter dishes (which are basically an upside down bowl with a knob on top). I make the wasters donut shaped so I don't use as much clay as they would with a pancake shape. 

3 hours ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

I used to fire a soup bowl design rim to rim and got more warping that way than when I just put them rim down on the shelf. But some of that’s is going to depend on your clay, I bet. 

Hopefully if they're on the flat waster, on a flat shelf, it won't warp!

7 hours ago, liambesaw said:

As long as there's no memory or pyroplasticity issues, nothing like a forgotten bump or an untwisting of clay to frustrate

Plastic deformation and temperature related strain? I almost don’t know you anymore! LOL. Slumping?

36 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

You don't have to bisque fire waster slabs. Just make sure they're dry. And put a coat of alumina wax on them so the pots won't stick.

Won't they shrink under the bisque? My clay shrinks quite a bit during the bisque firing

25 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

Won't they shrink under the bisque? My clay shrinks quite a bit during the bisque firing

Most clay bodies I've used shrink very little during bisque. Plus my theory is that the pot isn't going to be hot enough to deform by the time the waster catches up.

2 hours ago, liambesaw said:

I have a bunch of clay disks drying between planks right now. I can use kiln wash too, right?(never heard of alumina wax- is it alumina hydrate and cold wax?)

Archived