Sign in to follow this  
Brandon Franks

My First Crystalline Attempts

Hey, Guys,

Thanks for all the help you have given me. (Especially, @glazenerd) Here is the first round of my crystalline pieces. The blue on blue and green on green glazes are from a book, and the blue on green is a glaze I created myself!

Enjoy, and thanks again!

IMG_0004.jpeg.ccf223a553b450a489edb72290e905d9.jpeg

55064711-301C-4B8E-B8BB-38F132ABB193 2.jpeg

IMG_0156.jpeg

Brandon: excellent results for first firing- I know many have not gotten this far in 30 firings. You are to be commended for researching and learning before diving off into the deep end of the glaze pool. I like to use crystalline posts as an educational opportunity for those who are following- there are many. You have the peak temp, growth ramps, and recipe down.  A reactive recipe will grow crystals at the rate of 3/4 to 1" per hour of soak time. 

3 hours ago, Brandon Franks said:

Hey, Guys,

Thanks for all the help you have given me. (Especially, @glazenerd) Here is the first round of my crystalline pieces. The blue on blue and green on green glazes are from a book, and the blue on green is a glaze I created myself!

Enjoy, and thanks again!

IMG_0004.jpeg.ccf223a553b450a489edb72290e905d9.jpeg

Crystal development, growth, field to crystal ratio, and population is spot on. Two items to critique- both relating to titanium. The small secondary crystals are normal- but can be controlled to some degree by lowering titanium additions. The discoloration on the shoulder is also caused by excess titanium  (cloudy). 

55064711-301C-4B8E-B8BB-38F132ABB193 2.jpeg

We talked about copper in PM. When using copper as the primary colorant- cut lithium carb by as much as 1/3 to prevent boiling. That "silver" looking streak on the shoulder is "boiling" from excess flux. Copper also tends to be very reactive to the base recipe and likes to overpopulate. Use the same recipe: cut lithium as noted, and lower zinc by 0.50 to 1.0% Just add whatever deduction you make from the zinc to the silica.

IMG_0156.jpeg

Great crystals on this one- exceptional in fact. Again note the cloudy (milk) on the upper third from excess titanium. I am very impressed with your first firing- very impressed. You can discuss exact recipe in PM if you have more questions.

Tom

Lee- I get questions about crystalline on a regular basis in PM and email; and will answer publicly when asked or if from someone I have been working with. I still read what is posted on a regular basis. Been working on a couple of articles for CM about the finer points of firing crystalline glaze: as Brandon just proved in his first firing- not as tough as it looks if you know the "tricks."

Tom

I love those pots.  Could you please tell us what book you used?   I've been making pots for a while but still consider myself a glaze chem beginner, but I'd like to try crystalline.  I'm lucky to have access to both gas reduction and electric ox.

Cynthia

Also in NJ