Scioto molded bisque

Ugh....a friend has 3 bisque kittens in the Scioto style (not true vintage) and wants me to clear glaze them, only coloring  the noses, paw pads, and eyes. So only black, blue, pink & clear. The problem is I have no idea if the body is low fire or mid fire, porcelain or white stoneware. I don't want to wreck them. My "assumption" is that I am safe with low fire glaze & maybe 04 to fire. Any advice anyone can give me???  Normally I would never even look at these --not my thing!--but I'd like to help out my friend. The last image is how they should come out. Thanks in advance. for your 2-cents worth!   

image5.jpg

image6.jpg

IMG953605.jpg

26 minutes ago, LeeU said:

Ugh....a friend has 3 bisque kittens in the Scioto style (not true vintage) and wants me to clear glaze them, only coloring  the noses, paw pads, and eyes. So only black, blue, pink & clear. The problem is I have no idea if the body is low fire or mid fire, porcelain or white stoneware. I don't want to wreck them. My "assumption" is that I am safe with low fire glaze & maybe 04 to fire. Any advice anyone can give me???  Normally I would never even look at these --not my thing!--but I'd like to help out my friend. The last image is how they should come out. Thanks in advance. for your 2-cents worth!   

image5.jpg

image6.jpg

IMG953605.jpg

I sure like your 04 clear idea for color retention and safety. Not sure you can figure out in advance if it will craze though. Glazing the inside as well could  help strengthen the finished product I believe.

I think I'ld try a pink and black underglaze on a little spot on the inside of one of the cats then when it's dry brush on some clear low fire glaze and fire it. You would be able to see if the colours and glaze are okay. If it crazes or the underglazes aren't right then you haven't gambled with glazing the outside and can try test another patch test area inside a cat. She must be a good friend for you to take this on, good of you to do it.

Archived