Zircopax in slip

tbaa

I am experimenting with different slip recipes and have a question - "stick to Anything White Slip" calls for zircopax.  Is this necessary?  I have another version of the recipe that does not include zircopax.

This is for use  over stoneware clay to create some texture by layering.  

Another question about this slip : It looks like I can add colorants but does that mean oxides as well as stains?

Any help/suggestions are hugely appreciated!

Thanks Bill.  I'm guessing the colorant aspect of zircopax would be white?  and no harm done if its left out?  I certainly have zircopax, but just confused why one recipe had it, and one did not.  I am more interested in  'sculpting' or doing raised patterns with the slip than coloring ...... or using it as an engobe, or terra sig.....  I liked the fact this slip fires at various temps, and 'sticks to anything'!

The only reason I could think of to add zircopax to a slip or engobe would be to get a true white-white, as opposed to something with an off-white tinge that would come from most light firing kaolins or ball clay. They're almost all cream or beige or ever so slightly gray. (Yes, I'm one of those weirdos who can see the difference in all the white paint chips at the hardware store.) If you're looking for texture slip, I would suggest that the zircopax isn't really necessary.

added: out of curiosity, is the slip "fish sauce" by any chance? It was used pretty widely in a lot of teaching institutions at one point, so the recipe often shows up with lots of different oxides or other colourants.

thanks a ton.  That is so helpful. I will now test both.   I haven't heard of 'fish sauce'... but it could well be.  A friend sent the recipe without the zircopax, and I saw the  other on CAD as well as pinterest….

Thank heaven for this forum!

Archived