AnnieG74

Glaze is glossy on inside of pot, but like sandpaper on outside

I fired my first glazed items to cone 6 and those with clear glaze where glossy on the inside, but felt like sandpaper on the outside. I fired some of the items a second time - some are glossy all over now, while others still feel like sandpaper. Both insie and outside had the same amount of glaze layers. Please help. 

annie, did you make the glaze or buy it?    if you made it, did you sieve it or only mix it up?

before you reglaze the rough ones, try sanding the gritty stuff off first.

whenever you ask a question, you will probably be asked several to narrow down the possibilities.   and we LOVE photos of whatever you want to discuss.

If brushing i think if you glazed the interiors first then applied glaze to exteriors before the pots had dried then your pot walls would be too moist to take the necessary thickness of glaze on outside  possibly.

11 hours ago, oldlady said:

annie, did you make the glaze or buy it?    if you made it, did you sieve it or only mix it up?

before you reglaze the rough ones, try sanding the gritty stuff off first.

whenever you ask a question, you will probably be asked several to narrow down the possibilities.   and we LOVE photos of whatever you want to discuss.

Thank you! I bought the glaze. 

5 hours ago, AnnieG74 said:

Brushed

Ok, my next questions are, what is your experience level at making pots? And how long have you used this particular glaze? 

Glazing is a skill that takes a lot of practice. Even those of us with a lot of experience know that when we start using a new glaze, it takes a while to figure out the best way to apply it.

You are brushing on a commercial glaze, which indicates you might be a beginner potter. (nothing wrong with that ... we all started as beginners!) Brushing is the most inconsistent technique for applying glazes, because it's hard to gauge how thick you have actually applied it. I think what's happening to your pots is that the glaze on the inside is much thicker than on the outside. Even if you brushed on the same number of layers inside and out, trying adding another layer or two to the outside. 

Good points @GEP.  I know, when I glaze, on the inside, I start at the bottom, with quite a bit of glaze.  I then use that excess, like a well essentially, to brush the rest of the inside.  So I know, I have plenty of coverage on the inside.  Obviously, I can't do this on the outside, so I probably have slightly less coverage, even with my years of experience.