Sign in to follow this  
Filqkus

What clay do I need?

Hello guys, I'm looking to make a few hookah bowls I can sell locally but since I'm really fresh into the ceramics world I don't really know what I need. So guys what clay should I use ? It has to have the following qualities : High Heat Capacity, Low Thermal Conductivity, Low Shrinkage, Non-permable, Sustain long periods of high heat ( around 500 degrees Celsius ). Also what kind of glaze should I use ? 

I'd go with third party combustion chamber/portion. From there, for handmade ceramic part, clear liner, same as any other food contact piece, no crazing, smooth, easily cleaned, tough and strong, and colour, texture, etc. on the outside. I'm doing midfire/stoneware. What kind of firing (ahem, for firing the pieces  ^_^ - a kiln) facility do you have available?

"Hookah Parts" gets seven million hits in Google, looks like there are choices...

I'm sticking with mugs, bowls, lidded jars, the occasional plate, small fountain...

Well I'm actually going to find someone else in my area who can throw them and fire them.

Edit: Nevermind I understand what you mean now.  The whole  thing with hookah bowls ( the ceramic part as you call it) is that you want it to change temperature as slow as possible ( get to full heat in like 5 mins ) and hold the heat as long as possible ( so the tobacco that is being "cooked" inside is cooked at a certain pace and it tastes a certain way) so what I'm really asking is : What mixture  of clay I should use (together with the guy I'll pay to throw them and fire them for me). The best bowls I have used usually have the qualities named in the 1st post so I want something similar. 

P.S I don't know almost anything about ceramics and I have never made anything out of it. The point of the post is so I'm a bit educated when I try to find someone to make them for me, or I go try to make them myself.

Edited by Filqkus

Those are all just qualities of glazed ceramics in general, I don't think there is a specific brand or type you need to look into.  If you're not into clay or whatever it would be a very expensive experiment to make them yourself on a whim ;)

My concern is the uneven heating from the coals. The top rim of the bowl is going to get really hot , the rest will slowly heat up, but not to the degree of the edges closes to the coals. So you need a clay body that can handle the uneven heating without cracking. An underfired stoneware would be a good candidate- it would function like a raku clay. A groggy terra cotta would probably work, too.