Is it possible to use this as a beginner hobby kiln

Eve

8 hours ago, oldlady said:

i will be bacl in florida in early december.   there are potters all over the area.   true, there is a fabulous place in Dunedin, right next to clearwater, but it is not the only one. 

posting the name of your town will not compromise your need for privacy.  above route 4 or below?  how far to tampa?   or sarasota?   there are craft fair all over the state and if you go to any, you can meet local potters.

I live in Lithia Florida, but no one ever knows where that is, which is why I say I live between Tampa and Orlando. Everyone knows Tampa and Orlando. I am looking for a potter community here. My first thought was to find a store, but the only one I found was In Clearwater.  I hope the kiln certification class leads me to a group. It has been so long, I know I could learn a lot.

• 1 month later...

Well, she works to at least cone 06 so far. The kiln sitter shutoff perfectly and all the elements worked. I named her Mrs. C. After the woman that previously owned her. This woman like me loved pottery, but also like me put it on the back burner to care for her family. Unfortunately, she passed before she could get back to it. I plan to rock this kiln in her honor as long as I am able. Thank you all that encouraged me to try it though it was 30 years old and discontinued. My husband did have a valid point, but he is not always right. Thanks to this group I will continue Mrs. C’s story and attain my dream. 

0460217B-D730-497A-A7E0-08DCD16471EF.jpeg

On 8/29/2019 at 12:44 AM, Bill Kielb said:

I guess Either is fine but am inclined to just change the cord end to match your existing receptacle with the appropriate breaker change.  Having a receptacle and cord end rated higher than the actual load will extend its life. One note looking at your picture. The kiln looks great but I suggest you check the crimp connection adjacent to your left forefinger it appears to be overheating and turning black. In addition you may want to check the rest closely just to put it in tip top shape to start. Easy to remove insulation back to good clean wire and install new crimps now.

nice looking kiln!

I will tell my husband to look at this again thanks!

• 7 months later...

HI Eve, I am curious how your Kiln is doing. I have a Blue Diamond that is in awesome shape except for a couple of Chipped bricks. I was told that you don't need to replace the bricks. I may need to get a couple of elements pins. Not sure if I can find Blue Diamond parts. Are all pins universal. Thank you, Joy

4 minutes ago, Joylynn said:

HI Eve, I am curious how your Kiln is doing. I have a Blue Diamond that is in awesome shape except for a couple of Chipped bricks. I was told that you don't need to replace the bricks. I may need to get a couple of elements pins. Not sure if I can find Blue Diamond parts. Are all pins universal. Thank you, Joy

You only need to replace the bricks if the chips are larger than about 1.5 inches, large enough that the elements will sag out of the chip. Blue Diamond kilns closed a few years ago, but Euclids.com will be able to make elements for you.

20 hours ago, Joylynn said:

Hi Joylynn, one way I've found to alert a previous poster without private messaging is to click 'quote'  from their last post. That will trigger an email to them if they don't come on the board often. Good luck with your new kiln!

• 11 months later...
On 5/21/2020 at 12:20 PM, Stephen said:

Hi Joylynn, one way I've found to alert a previous poster without private messaging is to click 'quote'  from their last post. That will trigger an email to them if they don't come on the board often. Good luck with your new kiln!

Hi,

On 5/20/2020 at 3:47 PM, Joylynn said:

Hi Joylynn, sorry I forgot my sign in information. My kiln is a rockstar. I only fire her to cone 6 but per the witness cones she only failed me once. That was due to a bad sitter cone. I feel extremely lucky to have found this kiln.

Archived