Needing help creating a mold from master in plaster

Hey everyone!

Im definitely new to sculpture and casting. But I’ve found a way to create canisters for candles that I love! But they’re made out of plaster and it is a very time consuming process. I would ideally like to make moulds of the plaster canisters I make but I don’t know if it’s possible? I’ve been researching silicone and would be perfect for what I want to do I’m just not sure if you can make a mold from an original made in plaster? I would appreciate any feedback! 

I really just wanted to know if I could use silicone as a mould around plaster original? I don’t want to lose the one I’ve got as I can’t make it again. I did search and it comes up with a lot about using plaster as the mould material for slip. But that’s exactly the issue I’m having with all major search engines. It confuses my key words and question into the opposite of what I’m asking.. I’d just really like to know if I can use my plaster original to create a mould... 

You would have to really seal the plaster so it isn't porous whatsoever or the silicone would stick to it and wouldn't release. A silicone mold works well for press molded pieces where you use soft clay in the mold then release the clay but for slip casting since the silicone isn't going to absorb moisture from the slip  drying would take ages and could be problematic. 

You can use any material for your master.  It's how you get from the master to the mould that changes depending on what you want to cast.  If your finished item is to be slip-cast, then your final mould must be plaster.

On 8/15/2019 at 2:54 AM, MonicaPlanko said:

Hey everyone!

Im definitely new to sculpture and casting. But I’ve found a way to create canisters for candles that I love! But they’re made out of plaster and it is a very time consuming process. I would ideally like to make moulds of the plaster canisters I make but I don’t know if it’s possible? I’ve been researching silicone and would be perfect for what I want to do I’m just not sure if you can make a mold from an original made in plaster? I would appreciate any feedback! 

Any chance of a photo of your "canisters"? Some shapes are easy to cast, some harder.

Archived