Kakes

Vacuum cleaner for the clay studio, yes or no?

I've heard that mopping is the best way to clean a studio, but what about a vacuum cleaner? I was told to vacuum out my kiln occasionally. I was wondering about the various models out there, wet/dry vacuums, heap filters, etc.  Do any of you use a vacuum, and what type?  Is it a terrible, dangerous idea?

Hepa  only and for production central vac exhausted to outdoors which can also be fitted with hepa discharge.

Simple rule:  Mop never sweep, vacuum to remove dust or catch dust as it gets produced as close to where it gets produced as possible.

If the vacuum is not hepa rated it can broadcast dust throughout the entire studio.

Edited by Bill Kielb

I vacuum my studio once a year, during my big studio cleaning week. I use a vacuum with a Hepa filter bag, and wear a respirator while I’m vacuuming. Even if the bag isn’t full, I throw it away when I'm done, Then I leave the studio and don’t come back for at least 24 hours. 

I vacuum the floor and every horizontal surface, including the tops of the radiator pipes that run across the ceiling. There will be a fine layer of dust on everything. Without a vacuum I would not get things as dust free. After vacuuming I will wet mop the floor. The floor ends up much cleaner compared to not vacuuming first, because all the clay dust does not clog up the mop water. 

5 hours ago, GEP said:

I vacuum my studio once a year, during my big studio cleaning week. I use a vacuum with a Hepa filter bag, and wear a respirator while I’m vacuuming. Even if the bag isn’t full, I throw it away when I'm done, Then I leave the studio and don’t come back for at least 24 hours. 

I vacuum the floor and every horizontal surface, including the tops of the radiator pipes that run across the ceiling. There will be a fine layer of dust on everything. Without a vacuum I would not get things as dust free. After vacuuming I will wet mop the floor. The floor ends up much cleaner compared to not vacuuming first, because all the clay dust does not clog up the mop water. 

Wow, that's impressive. I'm definitely going to start doing that. What type/brand of vacuum do you use? I need to buy a new one - the one I'm using is a dinky, old handheld type that spews everything out its rear end.

50 minutes ago, Kakes said:

Wow, that's impressive. I'm definitely going to start doing that. What type/brand of vacuum do you use? I need to buy a new one - the one I'm using is a dinky, old handheld type that spews everything out its rear end.

I have a Miele vacuum, and use their bags and filters, 

Not to suggest but I think we just grabbed a Rigid brand (Home depot) shop vac with a hepa filter kit for our kilns at the studio. We anticipate that we will install a much larger central system with six or seven stations distributed throughout so this will not be necessary at some point. There are a bunch of brands out there though for sure. Maybe a search on Amazon gets you more value.

652E1499-4D14-4E63-8464-523BBFD03A67.jpeg

Open windows and/or doors on a windy day, running fans - also stir up dust, which be bad. I see dust concerned potters running fans full blast to dry greenware - in the studio! What?

If there will be wind - as in, I'm opening the rollup door - might as well put on the respirator, vacuum, mop, then open the doors and windows, come back after a while.