What to do with unfired or raw pottery and sculptures

My Question is:    I’ve made several pieces I use Raku clay & create hand built pots & sculptures, the work hasn’t been fired at all of course I don’t have a kiln yet, some pieces are completely dry & have been sitting around for over a month,  I was wondering what the process is if u can’t get to a kiln for bisque firing,  will my pieces b  ruined.  I read u can spray them with hairspray or other before painting on the glaze,  so can I do this to raw work or do I just cover & place in a cool environment,  the pieces seem to b in good shape, no cracks, warping or bits falling off yet.  I couldn’t find any information on this subject anywhere,  does anyone know ?   I hope I’m in the right place,  let me know.   Cheers  Debra. 

they are fine.  stop worrying.  once dry, clay items can stay intact for years, i have a friend who made a sculpture and kept it for many years before finally firing it.  it is now finished and fine.

there is no need to do anything to what is a natural event.  no hairspray is needed.  just put them  out of the way on a shelf and leave them alone until you can get them fired.

you might benefit from some textbooks on pottery making.  

I had a sculptural piece, from my Freshman year of College.  It was meant to be a practice exercise, but I had never done something like it before, and wanted to keep it.  The instructor said I could, so I wrapped it, in paper towels, and put it in my supply box.  Then I promptly forgot about it for years.  I would occasionally find it again.  I finally fired it a couple years ago, some fifteen years later.

• Pres changed the title to What to do with unfired or raw pottery and sculptures

Archived