Porcelain glazing

Hello,

I am using Witgert Mont Blanc porcelain for pouring into molds. 

I am having some trouble with glazing though. 

Any advice on bisque temperature and glaze specific gravity for dipping?

I bought Scarva’s glaze GZ2305. It is a porcelain transparent glaze and they recommend adding very little water (like for dipping stoneware). I suspect I should add more water since porcelain bisque is very thirsty :)

Any advice would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

What are you bisquing to now? From Scarva's website they recommend bisque firing to 1000C so approximately cone 06 when using this glaze on their Scarva porcelain clay and they also suggest approximately 700-800 mls of water per 1 kg of glaze powder and to mix to a thin cream consistency. It's going to be trial and error to work out what the specific gravity for the glaze should be. Since we don't know what is in the glaze it's difficult to guess. Glaze a few test tiles and when it's dry scratch through the glaze to see the thickness and measure the specific gravity so you can replicate it.

13 hours ago, Min said:

What are you bisquing to now? From Scarva's website they recommend bisque firing to 1000C so approximately cone 06 when using this glaze on their Scarva porcelain clay and they also suggest approximately 700-800 mls of water per 1 kg of glaze powder and to mix to a thin cream consistency. It's going to be trial and error to work out what the specific gravity for the glaze should be. Since we don't know what is in the glaze it's difficult to guess. Glaze a few test tiles and when it's dry scratch through the glaze to see the thickness and measure the specific gravity so you can replicate it.

I had some test tiles glazed under the conditions they recommend. I did a 2 second dip and there were many pinholes. I also fired as they recommend. 

In general this 2 second dip I think absorbed too much glaze since the pottery turned a bit greenish after glaze firing. Some people commented on their site that if too thick it goes s bit green. 

I’m thinking of adding more water to the glaze to see how that works. 

Archived