Awesome Glaze Combo for Cone 6 Ox

I feel like people don't share their combinations of readily available glaze recipes enough so here is a combination of two glazes that makes an awesome amber(ish), brown, drippy, totally awesome glaze at cone 6 Ox.

Please try and share your results with me!

first recipe- (base coat)

s_15457.5a6a6d4411ad0.jpg
s_15135.5a6a6b56886ec.jpg
s_15323.5b36aa040e11d.jpg
s_15400.5a6a6c135b2e7.jpg
s_15252.5a6ba332a34ef.jpg

https://glazy.org/recipes/18336

Second layer-

s_15400.5a6a6c135b2e7.jpg
s_15252.5a6ba332a34ef.jpg
s_15457.5a6a6d4411ad0.jpg
s_15349.5a6a6b7d0a09e.jpg
s_15137.5a6ba32627dcd.jpg

s_15442.5a6a6ca5c1e50.jpg
s_15072.5a6a6a3c01481.jpg

https://glazy.org/recipes/27852

F1A39913-E527-4928-840F-52EC0564ACAE.jpg.07fc9f3a6d7dae1b50f1fa2e9d8c8e3e.jpg

I realize that I worded the post incorrectly. Around my area, the potters tend to be more, "introverted," especially with their glaze recipes and combinations. I know that on the Ceramic Arts Daily forms, all of you guys are helpful and give away your recipes. I was just referring to many of the potters I know that charge people money for a combination of glazes that they simply found on Glazy or in a glaze book. 

10 hours ago, Babs said:

Combination..how? dipped, glazes mixed?

Think yhete is a genwrous sharing of methods and recipes here but may be hidden under different posts..

Nice pot!

Indeed, I was more referring to people in my general area that tend to be more greedy with their glaze combinations.

I dipped the first layer (Temmoku Gold) for about 5 seconds. I tend to keep that glaze thick, but it never runs. I did the second dip (June Perry Pink) for about 2 seconds. I fired to cone 6 OX. and had natural cooling with no hold. I would love for someone to try this with a controlled cool, I sadly don't have the kiln space and time.

Thanks,

Brandon

4 hours ago, Marcia Selsor said:

My gallery has many glaze recipe with photos but they go back many  years. Thanks for sharing. I think this is a generous group.

Marcia

Indeed, I did word my original post wrong, I was/am referring to the area where I live, the ceramics community tends to be a bit greedy with their glaze combinations. 

9 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

The June perry pink is missing the chrome in the recipe by the way.  I think Joe uses a vapor flashing technique to get the pink, which is why it's not there in the breakdown.  

Yes, I have been doing the same thing, for I like the single concentraded area of pink, and the rest to be a shallower color. 

Thanks,

Brandon

IMG_1028.jpeg

Each of these is yummy. I miss mixing my own glaze-all of it was for cone 10 gas or wood, back in the day.   I just don't have the room to make & store in my home studio for my current  elec. 6 work, which is relatively minimal in size & quantity anyway.  

12 hours ago, Marcia Selsor said:

My gallery has many glaze recipe with photos but they go back many  years. Thanks for sharing. I think this is a generous group.

Marcia

I still havent taken time to access the Gallery in "new" format . I liked the alphabetical listing of members and their albums. Does this still exist somewhere somehow?

6 hours ago, liambesaw said:

Neat!

This is what it looks like with the chrome added

IMG_20190414_151932-1612x1209.jpg

June Perry Pink/ pink(with crome) has been a great base for layering.

If you don't mind me asking, is that top glaze your recipe, or in a book? It looks fantastic, but can't find it in a glaze book.

It's waterfall brown from mastering cone 6 glazes by Roy and hesselberth.  It's a specialty glaze for stoneware only though.  On porcelain it slides off and onto the shelf.

It makes for some good combinations.  Here it is with variegated slate blue, top is dipped 2/3rds with waterfall brown, and bottom dipped 2/3rds with variegated slate blue.  Where they meet is a magical confetti of cobalt, iron, copper and rutile.

IMG_20190204_121505-756x1008.jpg

2 hours ago, liambesaw said:

It's waterfall brown from mastering cone 6 glazes by Roy and hesselberth.  It's a specialty glaze for stoneware only though.  On porcelain it slides off and onto the shelf.

It makes for some good combinations.  Here it is with variegated slate blue, top is dipped 2/3rds with waterfall brown, and bottom dipped 2/3rds with variegated slate blue.  Where they meet is a magical confetti of cobalt, iron, copper and rutile.

IMG_20190204_121505-756x1008.jpg

So pretty!

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Babs said:

I still havent taken time to access the Gallery in "new" format . I liked the alphabetical listing of members and their albums. Does this still exist somewhere somehow?

Doesn't seem so.  You can sort by many options, but not member name :-(  

image.png

On 7/28/2019 at 5:19 AM, liambesaw said:

The June perry pink is missing the chrome in the recipe by the way.  I think Joe uses a vapor flashing technique to get the pink, which is why it's not there in the breakdown.  

After the chrome flashing does the chrome stay as a fugitive in the kiln?

37 minutes ago, Babs said:

After the chrome flashing does the chrome stay as a fugitive in the kiln?

Yes, but probably not enough to change much unless you are doing this every time you fire.  The problem being that you'd use the same amount in a 5 gallon batch as you'd use on a single one of those flashing tiles.  So yeah, a lot!  

@Babs, it is possible to search members galleries but in a roundabout way. 

- hit "Gallery" in the bar at the top of the homepage

- it will take you to the Gallery home page with the last image posted at the top left side of the screen. Right now it's one of Callie's mugs, hit on where it says "Browse Member Galleries" like in the screenshot below

1149829945_gallerysearch.png.167f28098d0f95a6aff2f7396d8faa78.png

- this will take you to a page titled "Browse Members Galleries" where there are all the galleries listed from most recent to oldest. If you click on the member name next to the gallery it will take you to their homepage where you can then search all their galleries or scroll through the (47) pages of galleries.

1194412876_ScreenShot2019-08-03at2_35_23PM.png.14df75a8f219fb0cabc9bbf1a8aa3f94.png

Archived