Refiring a Glazed piece

CPT

Hi quick question:

I just glazed fired a few mugs to Cone 6. I've attached a photo.

I want to be able to re fire them so that I can personalize these mugs with a customer's name, using Duncan's French Dimensions (the puffy 3d glaze).

How would I go about this? Would I re fire at a lower temp, say cone 018?

Thanks!

post-10505-133285728551_thumb.jpg

post-10505-133285728551_thumb.jpg

Hi quick question:

I want to be able to re fire them so that I can personalize these mugs with a customer's name, using Duncan's French Dimensions (the puffy 3d glaze).

Thanks!

I've not tried to use the French Dimensions on a fired glaze surface before, you might have a little trouble getting it to stay put, much like reapplying glaze to something for a refire.

However, being something I used quite a bit in the days of finishing and selling just low fire cast ware, do a test piece, and fire to ^06. This is the normal range for French Dimensions when

being applied over an unfired glaze. Of course, on the test piece doesn't turn out how you wish, then try a lower range. I think ^06 should do the trick for you.

Let us know how it goes. Can't wait to see the end results!

Jeri Lynne

Hi quick question:

Thanks!

Hi I refired some porcelain plates one cone higher, that originally hadn't reached the reqiuired temperature first time round. They melted and stuck themselves to the shelves! The advice I recieved from brilliant potter Steve Mills was to reuse the cones that were in the original firing to measure the actual heatwork if I needed to refire something again. Your problem is that you have to fire high enough to soften the original glaze but also to mature the Duncans French Dimensions without overfiring the body. Much depends on the temperatur of the Duncans French Dimensions I wish you luck.

I have a problem that I never encountered. A cone 5 fired bowl leaves a water mark on the table after it comes out of the dishwasher. The bottom of the pot feels dry and the glaze is a Miller glaze I've been using for years without any issues. The clay body is also Miller, #60.

Any help you can give will be appreciated.

Is this something that you recently made, or a piece you made a while ago? I'm thinking that using a dishwasher detergent over time may cause wear/tear on the pottery over time. The detergent may contain lemon/acid which wears off the finish.

You may want to post this as a separate discussion and see what everyone else may suggest.

Hope this was of some help!

Hi quick question:

Thanks!

I've not tried to use the French Dimensions on a fired glaze surface before, you might have a little trouble getting it to stay put, much like reapplying glaze to something for a refire.

However, being something I used quite a bit in the days of finishing and selling just low fire cast ware, do a test piece, and fire to ^06. This is the normal range for French Dimensions when

being applied over an unfired glaze. Of course, on the test piece doesn't turn out how you wish, then try a lower range. I think ^06 should do the trick for you.

Let us know how it goes. Can't wait to see the end results!

Jeri Lynne

This may be way off base and too unprofessionial. but they make pens that you can use to write on glazed cups and then you fire it in a regular oven at about 500. it is suppost to stay on the cup and be dishwasher safe. I don't know if that is an option or not depends on what you are wanting. Good luck Kabe

Duncan French Dimensions need to be fired to at least cone 06. So the low fire 018 would not be sufficient. If you want a low fire alternative without going the oven route (which I personally don't like), you could use china paints or fired gold. They aren't raised but will get the job done.

See this topic if you're interested for details: http://ceramicartsdaily.org/community/topic/1860-india-ink-on-bisque-ware/

I'd do a test piece fired to 06. with the French Dimensions like mentioned above. Make sure you do your tests if possible with the same colors you will be putting it on top of as some colors act different when applied to already fired pieces

Here is my way of reglazing items. Please be aware I only work with ceramics and fire my glaze only 05 and 06

Some problem items I take a bit of clear glaze and water it down and sort of use it with a sponge like rubbing compound to ruff it up surface just a bit to make new glaze stick

Best method I prefer to use is warming it up in microwave however size is a factor as it has to be small enough to fit.

Just last night I tried spray starch (similar it sounds to the hairspray) and I'm headed to kiln right now to see how it did.

I believe I saw an older post here on forum for the starch idea.

again this is only my method and I only do low fire items. I do work with dimensional glazes, Spectrum, bumpy snow, and French Dimensions and they can be a little finicky (bubbling)when applied on top of already glazed pieces...

So definitely do tests first and with different colors on the already fired and glazed test piece

Thanks for your reply.

I went ahead and used the French dimensions on an already glazed piece. I fired at Cone 6; it seemed to work and turned out okay.

I never thought about throwing the piece in the microwave before reglazing.....does this allow the new glaze to 'stick' to the existing glazed surface?

Thanks!

Thanks for your reply.

I went ahead and used the French dimensions on an already glazed piece. I fired at Cone 6; it seemed to work and turned out okay.

I never thought about throwing the piece in the microwave before reglazing.....does this allow the new glaze to 'stick' to the existing glazed surface?

Thanks!

You fired the French dimension at 6 (not 06) and it work that hot?

Yes, micro works well for me. Also a heat gun work good for small areas as bigger areas cool down to fast. My starch experiment works ok.

Last night I tried the cheap hairspray method and that way seems to be the best way so far.

However I wont be able to see how well it actually works till I get kiln open tomorrow but I'll report back when I do.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived