Sign in to follow this  
MisterP

Glazes for dark clay body

Hey all.. I'm relatively inexperienced with clay but loving the learning. I've recently found a very dark brown clay body that is a dream to throw with. The only problem is that every glaze I put on it looks like crap. I'm sure it's the iron oxide in the clay body interacting with the glazes, but am unsure what glazes to switch to. I only have the ability to use commercial glazes at this point, so if you know any that work well on a dark clay body, I would appreciate the heads up. Thanks!

I usually use a dark body, what do you mean every glaze looks bad?  Do you have examples?  Anything transparent is going to be dark, so celadons and such are out.  Maybe some of the potters choice glazes by Amaco would look good.  I mix my own so I can't recommend any commercial ones, but colors that look good on dark stoneware are whites and creams, blues, greens and pinks.

IMG_20190204_121505-756x1008.jpg

IMG_20190225_214154_crop_604x604.jpg

IMG_20190414_151932-1612x1209.jpg

If you can have the presence of mind to think about how you want to glaze the piece while you're still making it, adding a layer of white slip is also a good option if you want the contrast between the red clay and lighter, brighter glazes. I personally do a lot of this.

image.jpeg