Rim defect - slip casting

Is the lip the top of mold and you cut it off in mold ?or can you tell us more about the mold details?

uneveness is where layers of slip build up as slip dries and level drops in molds

usually one has so room in spout for this to happen and be cut off-

9 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

Is the lip the top of mold and you cut it off in mold ?or can you tell us more about the mold details?

uneveness is where layers of slip build up as slip dries and level drops in molds

usually one has so room in spout for this to happen and be cut off-

My mold is exactly the size of the object, so no extra room to cut it off

hm ok.. i’ve tried to be careful to make sure the mold is always topped with slip, but the top layer dries as well, so that might be the reason as you mentioned.

Molds will suck up slip as they dry and if yours in the exact size there is NO room for this to happen-Thats whats going on.Molds need a spout or a space for slip level to drop and then you add more slip as the time goes by as the walls thicken. You must includ this space in your mold.

Hopefully you understand what I'm saying.

Your uneven rim is becuase slip is drying and the level drops you add some but its already dried so thats your issue .

9 hours ago, Mark C. said:

Molds will suck up slip as they dry and if yours in the exact size there is NO room for this to happen-Thats whats going on.Molds need a spout or a space for slip level to drop and then you add more slip as the time goes by as the walls thicken. You must includ this space in your mold.

Hopefully you understand what I'm saying.

Your uneven rim is becuase slip is drying and the level drops you add some but its already dried so thats your issue .

thanks for addresing my issue! i'll try to include some space in my next molds, and see what happens :)

On 7/3/2019 at 8:34 AM, Mitzuuu89 said:

thanks for addresing my issue! i'll try to include some space in my next molds, and see what happens :)

You need a funnel built in to your mould, also called a sprue.  It is shaped so you can run a flat plastic blade around it, to remove the excess thick/thin build up.  I'll go take a photo later so you can see what I mean.

53 minutes ago, Chilly said:

You need a funnel built in to your mould, also called a sprue.  It is shaped so you can run a flat plastic blade around it, to remove the excess thick/thin build up.  I'll go take a photo later so you can see what I mean.

great! thanks :)

Archived