Potters Wheel query

3 minutes ago, oldlady said:

Thank you for your advice, OL. They seem to be much in demand in my part of the country, which has many artists and craft people. 

Regards, 

Salvatore

3 minutes ago, oldlady said:

$250 sounds  really high for my part of the country.   it is really old.

Thank you, Liam, that's really useful!

Thank you, MFP. It doesn't have a tray at the back. It's just a straight bath shape, so I'm thinking it's not an RK2. Any ideas how much I should be asking to sell it 2nd hand? 

Looks like an RK-2 to me - many distinctive features, eh? ...the foot pedal and lever, switch, overall shape, recessed hand grips, number and location of fasteners...

Note also the rounded edge (vs. angled) at the back - looks like an oldie to me. 

fwiw, I did find a match on the splash pan; yours is missing the shelf that sits on the support flanges there on the back/straight part. Try searching "vintage shimpo rk2" ...peruse images...

Is the nameplate missing? What's it look like inside?

As for asking price, extend your search; what are others asking for similar piece, in same (does it work? is it quiet?) condition?

trasho.JPG

2 hours ago, oldlady said:

$250 sounds  really high for my part of the country.   it is really old.

Thank you, Liam, that's really useful!

Thank you, MFP. It doesn't have a tray at the back. It's just a straight bath shape, so I'm thinking it's not an RK2. Any ideas how much I should be asking to sell it 2nd hand? 

My Shimpo is almost 40 years old and I sure wouldn't sell it for $250...considering a new one is $2500. It's a deal at $250. And it's not like there are that many moving parts....usually the only thing that hangs up is the foot pedal which is readily addressed with WD-40 spray.  I would bet the motors haven't changed a bit in 40 years....the wheel heads are exactly the same

They've actually changed to DC motors with a controller now.  The old AC ring cone drive is a goner and they no longer make or sell replacement motors for them.  So basically if the motor goes, it's fairly toast due to the way they're driven, it's not just a simple motor swap for a different brand.  

And 2500 new, you gotta be kidding me, you can get one of their fancy new DC motor RK-whispers for less than 1100 shipped to your door and their most expensive model is 1200.  

Archived