Pug mill won't extrude

Hello.

New user here.  Discovered a pug mill in the studio hidden under sheets and towels.  I couldn't find any identifying information other than the motor, which is a brook crompton parkinson.  The pug mill looks like this one but doesn't have the pressure regulator.  (http://walkerceramics.com.au/pugmill/) It does have an attachment where one is supposed to be.

When I discovered the pug mill, it was completely caked with rock hard clay.  After several hours of chipping away, I managed to free most of the clay from the auger and from the extruder tip.  (Sorry, don't know the proper terms).  I didn't have the tools to take it apart so I did the best I could to remove the stuck clay.

My problem is, I can't get anything to come out.  There is still a bit of clay inside the machine, but it just spins around the auger blade.  It isn't stuck on the blade, but it doesn't move down the machine.  I added water in hopes of loosening any stuck clay, but can't get the last few pounds to extrude.  Do I need to add more clay?  Can I use the machine without any pressurized air?

I'll be at the studio tomorrow and will add relevant pictures if necessary.

Thanks!

Hi Morganica and welcome to the forum. Yes, more pictures would help.

I would take it apart and get all that dried clay out so you don't run the risk of damaging the motor with jammed clay inside. (take some pictures as you take it apart so it's easier to put back together) The vacuum attachment would be nice but isn't necessary to run clay through, just means the clay won't be de-aired. Once it's cleaned out and hopefully running there will always need to be clay feeding the auger for it to extrude.

It's also possible that the screens are clogged. It would be best to take it apart and clean it out completely.

There probably has to be more clay in the machine to get the it to move through. Once you start feeding clay into the machine it will probably work

The pug mill HAS to be full.  Like so full you have a hard time closing the hopper lid.  I agree the unit should be taken apart and cleaned thoroughly.  A couple of open end wrenches should do the trick.  Check Harbor Freight online if you need low cost hand tools.

3 hours ago, liambesaw said:

Is it possible that the motor can run the auger backward to mix clay and then switch to forward for pugging?  I don't have a pug mill but I thought I remembered that from our school pugmill

There is only one switch and my choices are on and off. 

That is one of the first things I checked as well. 

2 hours ago, CactusPots said:

The pug mill HAS to be full.  Like so full you have a hard time closing the hopper lid.  I agree the unit should be taken apart and cleaned thoroughly.  A couple of open end wrenches should do the trick.  Check Harbor Freight online if you need low cost hand tools.

I had a feeling it needed to be completely full. I’ll do some more cleaning and then stuff it. 

Archived