Gas burner question

Luitreth

I have just built a two burner gas kiln and just fired it up for a test run this morning, my question is that I have several methods of controlling the gas flow to the burners, each burner has a control valve, the propane cylinder has a valve that to a certain extent can be controlled and the pressure gauge also has a valve to adjust the psi. At the moment I have the cylinder opened all the way, the pressure gauge set to 3 psi and have been controlling the burners by their own control valves, is this the best way to do it?? Many thanks 

The cylinder valve is on/off I don’t believe you have any reasonable control over the flow, the regulator is what you should be using to control the rate of rise in temperature, if you are using a Venturi type of burner the adjustment for air control is at the burner some burners may also have a shutoff valve at the burner and this can also be adjusted to control and balance the kiln the last control you have would be the damper this is used to control pressure inside the kiln as well as the atmosphere.

Thanks for coming back, here's a couple of pictures, I am controlling the flame using the regulator knob on the burners, the yellow is an on/off valve. Just wondered if the way to go was open both burners full and control the flame by adjusting the pressure gauge regulator, probably doesn't make much difference I guess, just that way both burners would be getting equal gas whereas adjusting each burner individually it's more guess work.

SAM_0576.JPG

SAM_0575.JPG

I see a T just after the regulator I’m not sure what you have on each end of that, the second picture shows a check valve to your pilot safety shut-off and then there is a knob I’m assuming controls the flame to the pilot?  Are you running a separate line from the T at the regulator to each burner? All of my setups start with some type of gas shutoff valve, with natural gas that valve controls the rate of flow on lpg the shut off valve is followed by a gas pressure regulator some type of gauge is next in line on both systems so I can monitor pressure and consistently reproduce results maintaining the kiln optimally during the firing cycle, my kilns also have air control being a screw disk air gate or forced blower giving me control over the air to gas mixture this will provide some of the atmosphere control (oxidation/reduction) where I have a valve at the burner I usually only use that to shut off one or more burners during candling (water smoking) otherwise they are all full open, lastly is the damper on top of the kiln also controlling kiln atmosphere and pressure giving you some control over heat distribution the air control will also affect heat balance and works in combination with the damper.

From the T a line goes to each burner, there is no pilot on the burners, the shutoff is a thermocouple, the knob controls the gas flow through the burner ie crack it open it candles, whack it right open it roars. I was just wondering whether best to control the flame from the burner knob or the regulator/pressure gauge, as I can do both I will see which works best.

4 hours ago, Luitreth said:

I was just wondering whether best to control the flame from the burner knob or the regulator/pressure gauge, as I can do both I will see which works best.

The little kiln I know runs just fine controlled individually by the dials on the torches. The only time this is useful is below 600 degrees.

To keep the kiln from heating too quickly the burners get lit and increased in turns, alternating burners every 30 mins or so 1/4 dial at a time until 3/4 open on both burners.

At this point both burners get increased together from 3/4 to 1 and from 1 to 2. They remain at 2 full turns until shutoff or someone wants to control the cooling.

The little soft brick kiln heats and cools quickly so it's fun to fire but will fire quickly if not held back with the damper in a somewhat nuetral position after the body reduction.

cheers

Archived