porta kiln gas firing problems

I have had a porta kiln for a few years, I have no troubles getting it to bisque fire. But I have had disasters with my glaze firings. I cant get it to go beyond 1080 celicius. I have my cones in there and the last firing it took 10 hours to get the cones to drop. So effectively I did get it to temp, but thought that perhaps this was too long?

I love gas kilns and want to buy another one, but am not sure if i should keep persevering with my porta kiln or get another type?

11 hours ago, Juliafisher said:

I have had a porta kiln for a few years, I have no troubles getting it to bisque fire. But I have had disasters with my glaze firings. I cant get it to go beyond 1080 celicius. I have my cones in there and the last firing it took 10 hours to get the cones to drop. So effectively I did get it to temp, but thought that perhaps this was too long?

I love gas kilns and want to buy another one, but am not sure if i should keep persevering with my porta kiln or get another type?

Since this is a gas appliance and I presume the kiln shell is in reasonable, condition setting the damper and primary air on the burner will be very important as well as the quality of the fuel you have. Maybe some pictures of the burner, and kiln  will reveal more. The default primary air position is about 1/3 opening I believe.

pics wouls be good but 10hrs not excessive in a medium kiln if going cone 6 smand above...

lots of posts here, Julia, on kilns stalling  so search.

can you post a firing temp details i.e. a log of a typical glaze firing that you have done?

Archived