Quick Tips

Hi folks, with all the discussion in some threads about peeps and kiln firing,I thought I might pass on a little trick with putting peep plugs in and out. . . solid ones especially as they can get dang hot! One of the best tools I have found for removing and replacing peep plugs most all of us have. . . dip tongs! They grip those solid plugs really well, and keep the heat away from you. 

Many of you probably don't use peeps often, but if calibrating a kiln setter or other such it is definitely something to consider.

best,

Pres

Thanks for the great tip on the dipping tongs,  I have a good set that I hardly use.  I have manual kilns and use a dual pyrometer  set that I use in the final stage of firing so I move peeps often.   I have a table that my husband made for my test kiln.  It is metal and the top has a  4 inch  edge on it,  I filled it with bricks from a kiln that I dismantled, one the bricks had the peep hole drilled in it.  It comes in handy when taking a hot peep out.   Denice

I bought the solid peeps because the slipcast ones would last five seconds before I dropped them all in an effort to not drop them.  (I can’t remember the manufacturer: I’m sick and under caffeinated). I use a pair of leather garden gloves to remove the peep, and I set it on a non-flammable surface. Usually the cement floor, but a soft brick would work too. They seem to handle a lot of thermal shock. 

My 2 main kilns use covers that swing to the side to open the spyholes but my older kilns (and my test kiln) used plugs made from IFB. Do people not use those anymore? I didn't need to use gloves, just removed them with my bare hands, they never got hot on the ends that you grab, just on the end of the plug thats inside the kiln. 

1 hour ago, liambesaw said:

but I guess they'd be pretty easy to make

Yes they are, dusty job though. 

1 hour ago, Bill Kielb said:

definitely are a bit fragile but work

Only if you drop them. ;)  I used the same ones for years, the inside ends would get a little worn down but I still have them kicking around somewhere. 

Archived