Wax resist choices

The wax resist that Standard/Ceramic Supply/Ceramic Supply Chicago sells is the best I have ever used. I find that pretty much any wax does a good job of resisting, but their wax washes out of brushes totally clean with just water. It never gums up brushes. It also dries quickly and dries hard, not sticky.

It's my understanding that Mobilcer-A wax is the same as crystalcer.  Sounding Stone in Canada has it for sale on their website. If they don't stock it any longer then look for a wax with an oil base rather than a water base for overglaze wax brushwork. The water based cold waxes have a tendency to lift the base glaze layer (oil based ones can still be thinned with water). If they dry sticky then briefly run a heat gun on low over the wax and it will smooth out and dry hard.

I have been using the green Aftosa wax and I'm pretty satisfied with it except when using it on deep texture, the glaze will still adhere in the deep valleys and be difficult if not impossible to get out.  Wax doesn't really stick to a previous layer, so building it up won't work.  Think of pressing a fork into the clay about 3 times the width of the tine deep.

Seattle pottery is the last place that has a supply of Mobilcer-A wax -its the best. It will run out and be no more soon-get it while its still available as its not made anymore.

You can buy it in lots of sizes but call and make sure its the Mobilcer-A wax . Talks to a sales person who knows this product as they also sell other ttypes of inferior wax.

Here is alink I posted about a few years ago-now you know more than you wanted to.

It's their in-house wax, so just order that.  I don't know if a phone call will do much good, they're not usually helpful unless you're there in person and even in person there's usually no one around.  That said, I love the store and will be going this weekend to stock up on clay and glaze materials and will buy another gallon of wax just in case.

• 2 months later...

I have a whole pint from Ceramic Supply I have to use up first. It's kind of a pain....you can wipe the glaze off but it doesn't repel the glaze like my old wax resist did.  With my old resist I could dip pots and the glaze would run off the resist....I don't think that would happen with this stuff

Archived