Yellow Salt glaze

I used the Yellow Salt Glaze on 6 or 8 pieces in the last firing.  The big bonus points are for the Magma product.  That stuff really does the trick.  The YSG, not so much.  First impression is that the yellow is too light, it reads as some variation of white.  I used in thin and thick, never got a real yellow.   Strangely, although mostly a gloss surface, there are occasional patches of mat.    I don't like gloss finishes at all for my work and the patches of mat would make it unreliable for  kitchen ware.  Does anyone use this glaze in their go to palette?  I've never seen the Heino Yellow in person, but from the pictures I've seen, it's pretty close to what I'd like to find in a reduction cone 10 glaze.  There are a couple of others in the John Britt glaze book to try.   As suggested in Britt's book, it's is interesting over shinos, especially Davis. 

Can you give more info on the Yellow Ash Glaze? Are you referring to a specific one from a book?

Ash glazes can be matte and gloss. That's not unusual. They can also be durable, despite being matte.  You'd have to test your particular glaze to know for sure. A good matte glaze can be just as durable as a gloss glaze.

This is the glaze Mark C. passed me a little while ago.  It's in John Britt's The Complete Guide to High Fire Glazes on page 131.  My mistake, it's not Yellow Ash, it's Yellow Salt.  Britt illustrates Yellow Ash on the same page.  Not sure why it's called that.  It's mostly nep sy.

I'm not really worried about durable or food save glazes.  My stuff could mostly be considered sculpture and planters.  All planters, actually.

Still wondering if anyone actually uses this glaze?

It's definitely yellow for me, stoneware claybody for the pots below. This is the recipe I used, don't know if it's the same as Mark C's recipe. It's a soft gloss, no matte areas. The iron I used was high purity, if you are using Spanish Iron you might need to add a bit more. (high purity iron is approx 95 - 98% Fe2O3, Spanish is approx 87% Fe2O3)

Title change to Yellow Salt Glaze instead of Yellow Ash Glaze might help.

IMG_2812.jpg.332182add098742525436714d46e2d05.jpg

Nepheline Syenite 63.90
Dolomite 21.10
Zircopax 16.00
OM #4 Ball Clay 4.30
Iron Oxide Red 1.00
Macaloid 1.25

(plus magma)

This is a yellow matte glaze I use at cone 10 reduction;  I fire mostly on stoneware and some porcelain.  
thickness will change the color from yellow to faint yellow cream.  I have used it for 10+ years without problems.   
You will need to test your version to see how it responds to your clay body, application techniques, and thickness. 

feel free to tweak it 

ingredients & parts by weight:
Custer           43 
Whiting            4
Dolomite       17
EPK           19
Zircopax       14
Tin            3
total          100
Fe (RIO)        1

LT

Archived