What cone type do you all use for bisques?

I use cone 08 in electrics in cone setters but mostly bisque in my gas car kiln-I stopped using cones years back in the gas kiln for bisqueing and do it by color as well as my two pyrometers .I did use them for 25 years at least.

I suggest you all use cones.I stopped when I knew it was not needed as I can see the temp as well as have two separate temp checks with pyros.

I only use two cones now for cone 11 fires in gas kiln a 10 and an 11

This is all with Daves porcelain clay cone 10 as well as a little stoneware for salt kiln.

Mark

Hello everyone,

I've been reading the various forums and a lot of you use different cone ranges to bisques and I was taught to use cone 06 for all the clay body types and I'm curious to know what cone rang do you all use for Porcelain, Stoneware and Terra Cotta?

I fire porcelain, terra cotta and stoneware. I bisque in an old electric. I bisque to Cone 07, if I am out of those cones, I bisque to cone06.

TJR.

When I was in college(1970's), we bisqued most everything to 06. Since that time I have used evertything from 010 to 02 depending on the clay and how dense I wanted it. I now usually do 04 which leaves my stoneware porous enough for dipping but dense enough to get a little thinner coating that I prefer. All is subject to change should a need arise.

Archived