Sign in to follow this  
Joseph Fireborn

Diamond Grinding Disk for Wheel Head

Does anyone use Diamond Grinding Disk for their wheel heads?

There are so many options and different products and they vary in prices by a lot. I just want a decent one so I was hoping to get a good recommendation from people here. 

I searched but couldn't find anything in particular on the forums about this exact type of product. I plan on using it to level off slight rocks in my feet. They drive me crazy, but every now and then I will get a few pots that are really beautiful pots that have a slight rock to them and I want to fix it so I can sell them, instead of putting them into my personal collection or hammering them.

Anyone use one of these things and can recommend a good one?

The people who make advancers have one for 180 + 20 shipping. Looks pretty good and I like the rubber pad for the bat pin situation as I usually leave my pins on.

https://kilnshelf.com/glazeeraser/glazeeraser-grinding-disk/

Thanks all!

I use one of these glued to a bat to tidy up my feet and grind my kiln posts flat. 

uxcell 300mm 12-inch Grit 320 Diamond Coated Flat Lap Disk Wheel Grinding Sanding Disc https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071SD8Q73/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_AnBYCbCX1Y9QD

Works good, need to keep things wet while you're using though.   I also have a smaller 6 inch one in 1000 grit and can get a foot damn near mirror polished with it.

They're probably not the most durable or longest lasting, but they're about a third of the price of industry specific ones

Edited by liambesaw

Hi Joseph,

I've also glued a cheapish disc (less than ten bucks) to a plastic bat; next one will be a courser grit, as 1200 is a bit slow, and perhaps the larger one, although the six inch does the job ok - pot sits flat an' doesn't scratch.

Ditto on the keeping it wet, an' give it a rinse when done. Pressure doesn't seem necessary, just let the diamonds do th'work, light grip, both hands, keep it moving.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0711XNYJR/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A serious run with the pad creates an edge - try tipping up the pot and running the polished edge off the foot, aaah, chamfer is a word f'that. ...and/or bevel, yeah.

Edited by Hulk
or bevel.

I would get the cheaper ones and glue to a bat. The kiln shelve one is suoper fragile as its just like an andvancer shelve.

I have used  a course one  that glues to a bat to recondition about 80-100 plaster bats -I moved a wheel outside and resurvaced them smooth and flat again-super dusty/messy job-I do it every decade about on 7 inch bats

I use a hand held diamond pad to work pot pottoms  smooth 100 grit-from ToolCity.com

Much easier/faster when kiln unloading than a stationary sit down wheel deal

I just went and had a look at mine for a name brand but there isn't one. All I remember was I bought in on Amazon for about 30- I just stick the flat lap  onto the wheelhead with a clay donut, it's about 400 grit. If I bought another one I would get a 200 grit or even 120 as it takes a while to sand things down.

@Mark C., isn't that the picture that was in CM? 

16 minutes ago, Fred Sweet said:

Mark-

Did you sign a release form for the photo(s)? If not, you definitely have justification to ask for an honorarium of some type. 

Regards, 

Fred

It's from ceramics monthly, so released to them.  Who knows if they got permission from ceramics monthly or not

10 minutes ago, Joseph Fireborn said:

Thanks people. I will go with the 30 dollar option! Definitely gonna go with a lower grit though. I hand polish my feet with pads this is just for making the pot not rock, which is pretty hard to do with pads. I am thinking 100 grit?

The 150 grit of the one I posted is only 22 bucks, it'll work handy I'm sure

I bought the 8" 60 grit, from Diamond Core at Kansas City when there 2 years ago. Glued it to a bat I bought at the same show, and have had nothing but good with it. I dip the bottom of the pot in water and work it around the disc while wheel moving . . .in seconds bottom is smooth, and a little angled rotation cleans/bevels the edge.

Even today it is like I got it with no thin streaks.

best,

Pres