Hotpack Kiln Model 7009 questions

kd4zou

I was just given this old kiln, it's from the electric hotpack company inc. , model 7009. 

I have been searching all day for information about it so I can try to get it working again , and can't find anything useful. 

Specifically, I'm looking for the electrical schematics and a user manual. 

Also, any other information about it would be great to know, things such as possible age,  etc.... 

Great thing about old kilns is that the schematics are about as simple as you can get.  The hardest part about restoring one is probably going to be getting elements wound for it.  I suggest contacting euclids and seeing if they know anything about your kiln and if they can wind elements for you.

@liambesaw 

The inside of the box itself looks fine other than a few hairline cracks , and the heating elements don't look as old as the rest of the kiln so they may have already been replaced. The power cord is dry rotted and crumbling ,  so I'll be replacing that for starters.  I'm sure it will be simple inside, most likely just power to the switch, then switch  to the elements. 

I'm not even sure what I'll do with it after I get it working. 

2 hours ago, neilestrick said:

you should be able to find a 20 amp appliance cord at the hardware store

Is that all I'll need?

I have some heavy duty 20a extension cords that I could use but I wasn't sure they would handle the heat, but if an appliance cord can, they should be able to as well. 

3 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

Do you know how hot this thing gets?  It sounds like it's a laboratory oven from what I can see of the products they made.  

No clue what it's top temps are. 

I was told it was being used as a jewelry kiln, that's why I've been searching for a user manual, I need to know more about it. 

Only  adjustment it has is low/med/high on that dial. 

From the very little info I could find, it originally had a shelf , if I can find it, maybe I can make 2 small pizza's at the same time. 

That gauge that ended up to small to see , goes up to 2500f but that's in the red. 

1 hour ago, kd4zou said:

<snip> From the very little info I could find, it originally had a shelf , if I can find it, maybe I can make 2 small pizza's at the same time.  <snip>

While you're probably joking qbout cooking pizzas, please don't cook food in a kiln used for ceramics.  Don't want to risk ingesting contaminants. 

-SD 

• 3 months later...

Archived