kiln Stand

Hi,

I have a medium sized Paragon kiln in my studio, and from time to time use a smaller retrofit raku kiln in the yard.  I have only one kiln stand, and in the past have lifted the Paragon kiln to access the stand for raku fun.  I look at the costs for kiln stands and find it unreasonable.  Is there a cheap stand that someone can recommend?  Thanks very much 

Mal

The stand that came with my (ancient) skutt is spot welded together; carriage bolts would do - better imo; the top rail of my stand is so rusted, in pof, I've added four pieces of angle iron, bolted on low 'nough to catch unrusted metal - good for many years now.

...use flat washers + lock washer on nut side. The cut edges and corners will require some softening - file or grind; metal edges cut!

I agree, most I see are really light gauge angle.  Welding, bolting, machine screws, even clip angle with self tappers  grinding flush  the protruding ends where the kiln sits seems fine although some decent spot or stitch welds make this flush and a snap to build.  For a slight amount more in money light perforated angle and carriage bolts seems attractive and cries for as many knee braces as one would like to cut for that inevitable slide your kiln over a few feet here and there occurrence.

12 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

You can use cinder blocks, but it takes some work to get them level and flat so the floor is well supported. A new stand is only $60-70, which is well worth the money once your figure in the cost of steel and the time it would take to make one.

I am thinking 30.00 - 40.00 for a perforated bolt together solution. Of course there is the time thing, but for the diy type a savings.

Archived