Sign in to follow this  
soarbc

Downdraft gas kiln conversion

A year ago I posted an obscure blog article of two very simple gas downdraft conversions that have worked incredibly well. I have had some very nice thank-yous and I thought I'd make it available to a wider audience. It is an evolution thanks to many other people and is an inexpensive build process accessible to most. The kilns are easy to fire and get excellent reduction. 

Here is a link: http://www.sebastianmarkblog.com/2018/07/gas-kiln-conversion-downdraft.html

Cheers,

Boris 

Downdraft conversion.jpg

25 minutes ago, Min said:

@soarbc, thanks for sharing your kiln conversion . I like how clear you made your instructions on how to do this.

agreed!

clear and comprehensive

The use of kiln shelves and burner ports in the floor makes a lot of good sense.

I expect more than a few of us with dreams of converting old kilns will look to this design.

That's a great design. The biggest problem with these conversion kilns is that people want to load them up like they would an electric kiln, which doesn't work. Like you said, it has to breathe. Yours is a clean, simple solution.