Matching possibly painted antique ceramic

Jared219

AA7BB45C-E431-41AA-B257-003E8C4EFD72.png.b9c8efdfe8252230e70c6fb0d793146f.pngE04BF4CC-9059-4469-B9E2-158834A1E399.png.e6b5e3cd2ee1708dd2c4e4217915377c.pngEB500A75-9AD3-4905-8A26-36E18E34727C.png.b730ac6690c9eb925f7d5b27765ab11b.pngHi guys! 

Seeking some help on a project I’ve been working on for a while. To not get too in depth, I’ve been replicating this antique teapot, and need some advice on getting the finish/color right. I’ve struggled and struggled trying to find the right glaze to match, and then I had an epiphany that the orange is NOT a glaze but rather some sort of paint. There’s a definite texture change between the clear glazed areas and the orange. Also, the orange is kind of a satin finish. Does anyone have a clue what type of paint this would be, or what would replicate it? It sort of reminds me of the finish of vintage Pyrex bowls. This line was produced in the 1940s. I’m guessing they glazed all of the pieces clear, and then painted on some sort of coating afterwards to maybe save money. Anyway, any help would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks!

Jared

I really don't think it is painted, but believe it may be matched up carefully by using Mason stains in an egg shell base. What firing temperature are you running to? At the same time it looks as the interior glaze may be a white variation of the outer glaze.

best,

Pres

17 minutes ago, Pres said:

I really don't think it is painted, but believe it may be matched up carefully by using Mason stains in an egg shell base. What firing temperature are you running to? At the same time it looks as the interior glaze may be a white variation of the outer glaze.

best,

Pres

Here’s my reason for thinking it’s painted. This is from the same line, different pattern. The bands on this match the orange, and it’s definitely sitting on top of the surface, feels like it could be scratched off. Whatever it is, it was also definitely sprayed on (with the solid color pieces) because often on the inside of the handles, the color was missed. My clay is a cone 647DFD96E-E758-423D-A67A-C8DC196182B4.jpeg.7d239ba7cde69b2113c1254920ec42de.jpeg

11 hours ago, liambesaw said:

The cups look glazed to me, I've seen some lead orange antiques that look very similar.  The main problem with that is firing a lead glaze in a kiln will contaminate the kiln forever

That's a new one on me - doesn't lead fire out at higher temps?

@Jared219, the obviously-painted-look of the hearts and banding probably comes from actually painting on the previously glazed surface with a lower firing glaze or enamel. These can indeed be scratched or marred by wear. The orange matte glaze has such an even application because it was sprayed on, I think, but not because it is paint sprayed on. 

Archived