best mold book

Is there a specific book that is generally considered (the best) on making molds for slush casting? I am interested in multi piece molds...

Not a book, but maybe this will be of interest to you http://www.heidimaie.../HTML/demos.htm

Christine

Interesting link thanks...would still like to find good book on plaster molds, have looked on amazon but it's hard to judge a book when you can't look through it.

I haven't read this one, but it looks pretty good, and is only $13.00.

The Essential Guide to Mold Making & Slip Casting

Slip casting is the way to go for ceramics.

Thanks Matt, I actually have purchased that book and it is good but is targeted toward tableware teapots etc. I am doing figurines with many undercuts...It may be that I simply need to cast in sections and assemble before firing. Just looking for a quicker production method to keep down costs.

I haven't read this one, but it looks pretty good, and is only $13.00.

The Essential Guide to Mold Making & Slip Casting

Slip casting is the way to go for ceramics.

Thanks Matt, I actually have purchased that book and it is good but is targeted toward tableware teapots etc. I am doing figurines with many undercuts...It may be that I simply need to cast in sections and assemble before firing. Just looking for a quicker production method to keep down costs.

Seems like there would be more books on the market for what you are asking, but I don't see any.

Good luck on your project.

When I had a side production slip business with an 3 piece molds (200 of them) for aroma therapy lamps we had a simple slip book from

http://www.lehmanmfg.com/accessories.html#sb

If you are looking for info on multi piece molds this book is worthless for that.

Molds are molds no matter what the form is-undercuts mean more mold pieces and more woes.

Mark

Is there a specific book that is generally considered (the best) on making molds for slush casting? I am interested in multi piece molds...

Slush casting is mostly an industrial method. Information on this method of hollow casting can be found by doing a search at the Business and Industry Branch or the Science and Technical Branch of the Library . I am sure you will find information there. That is where I found it.

I have done the resin casting and the urethane casting using plaster as my final hollow product. I did not use mechanical devices for rotating. I rotated the mold by hand. For the urethane and resin information I also used the library. There was one really good book in the crafts section of Barnes and Noble. It had very simplistic instruction but it was a good starting point. I can't remember the title though.

The following book I found on the New York Public Library site. I don't know if it is 'the best'. But maybe the bibliography can lead you to a better selection. If you can't find this in your town you may be able to do an interlibrary loan.

Lead Toy Casting, Including Slush and Gravity Casting & Mould Making By Rhead, G. F.

Slush casting is mostly an industrial method. Information on this method of hollow casting can be found by doing a search at the Business and Industry Branch or the Science and Technical Branch of the Library . I am sure you will find information there. That is where I found it.

I have done the resin casting and the urethane casting using plaster as my final hollow product. I did not use mechanical devices for rotating. I rotated the mold by hand. For the urethane and resin information I also used the library. There was one really good book in the crafts section of Barnes and Noble. It had very simplistic instruction but it was a good starting point. I can't remember the title though.

The following book I found on the New York Public Library site. I don't know if it is 'the best'. But maybe the bibliography can lead you to a better selection. If you can't find this in your town you may be able to do an interlibrary loan.

Lead Toy Casting, Including Slush and Gravity Casting & Mould Making By Rhead, G. F.

Thanks Lucille I'll check it out.

If you want a quicker production mold with undercuts, you may have to resort to a flex mold (rubber, silicone) with a plaster mother mold to hold and support the flexible mold. Bronze foundrys use flexible molds so you might find some books by looking up molds for lost wax process. Good luck.

I have one book that covers at least three part molds and also slip casting process. Publishers date is 1978, so it may be out-of-print-

ISBN# 0-684-15752-7 Title: Molded and Slip Cast Pottery and Ceramics Author: David Cowley Publisher: Charles Scribner's Sons

Don Frith's book on mold making is excellent. But I also posted info on Richard Notkin's workshops for this summer under the events topics. He is perhaps the best mold maker in ceramics art fiend at the moment. Patti Warashina says he is the most anal mold maker she knows. He makes interchangeable pieces for molds.

Richard Notkin Moldmaking Institute - Summer workshops. Helena, Montana.

Learn in a master’s studio: prototype design, plaster moldmaking, press- and slipcasting, slip deflocculation, relief tile design/production, and more. Limited participants for maximum interaction. “Relief Tilesâ€, maximum enrollment 12, tuition/materials $525. - May 28-June 1. “Moldmakingâ€, maximum enrollment 9, tuition/materials: $975. -

Session #1, June 18-29 - Session #2, July 30-August 10.

Marcia

If you want a quicker production mold with undercuts, you may have to resort to a flex mold (rubber, silicone) with a plaster mother mold to hold and support the flexible mold. Bronze foundrys use flexible molds so you might find some books by looking up molds for lost wax process. Good luck.

I have one book that covers at least three part molds and also slip casting process. Publishers date is 1978, so it may be out-of-print-

ISBN# 0-684-15752-7 Title: Molded and Slip Cast Pottery and Ceramics Author: David Cowley Publisher: Charles Scribner's Sons

I'll check on the cowley book...am a sculptor and used to work in bronze foundry so i'm pretty familiar with that process.

Don Frith's book on mold making is excellent. But I also posted info on Richard Notkin's workshops for this summer under the events topics. He is perhaps the best mold maker in ceramics art fiend at the moment. Patti Warashina says he is the most anal mold maker she knows. He makes interchangeable pieces for molds.

Richard Notkin Moldmaking Institute - Summer workshops. Helena, Montana.

Learn in a master’s studio: prototype design, plaster moldmaking, press- and slipcasting, slip deflocculation, relief tile design/production, and more. Limited participants for maximum interaction. “Relief Tilesâ€, maximum enrollment 12, tuition/materials $525. - May 28-June 1. “Moldmakingâ€, maximum enrollment 9, tuition/materials: $975. -

Session #1, June 18-29 - Session #2, July 30-August 10.

Marcia

Thanks, I have a sister in Montana I may just go for a visit. Ha!

Archived