Hand built teapot with tree design

4 minutes ago, Gabby said:

How fast are you actually spinning your banding wheel? I cannot imagine getting that symmetry of form on a banding wheel.

Enough to get a good workout lol. The video is sped up 15x. I cut out a lot of making the pot itself because I have another video that shows more of just making the pot body. I learned in Taiwan where my teacher would cut your teapot in half as a learning experience if it was not "balenced" or too thick. So I learned pretty fast if I wanted anything to go in the kiln to spin until I broke a sweat ha. I do use a electric wheel to make inventory. I still like to make handmade teapots sometimes it reminds me of being back in Taiwan getting pot after pot thrown out in Taiwan until finally getting approved for the wood kiln. The Taiwanese have a lot of respect for complete hand made stuff they will always say it has part of your soul in the piece. That being said I will redo the lid for that teapot or do a lot of sanding as I'm not happy with it. It would have been cut in half as a learning pot because of that lid. A proper pot completely handmade from the proper clay in Taiwan sells in the $1000's where here you'd be lucky to get $200-300 I'd guess, but it's still a process I love. 

I would love to be able to be able to make a symmetric pot on a banding wheel.

The spending habits of the wealthy differ from country to country. In some places, people spend vast amounts of money on celebrations of family events. I remember reading something a couple of years back about places where people would buy a mastiff dog for a million dollars. 

Of the people I have encountered who have $1000 or more to spend on something they don't really need,  I think it would go toward overseas travel or home remodels.

3 hours ago, Gabby said:

I would love to be able to be able to make a symmetric pot on a banding wheel.

The spending habits of the wealthy differ from country to country. In some places, people spend vast amounts of money on celebrations of family events. I remember reading something a couple of years back about places where people would buy a mastiff dog for a million dollars. 

Of the people I have encountered who have $1000 or more to spend on something they don't really need,  I think it would go toward overseas travel or home remodels.

Yes I think also they use a teapot everyday and it's showing off wealth. A lot of business deals and family dinners end with drinking tea around a decrotive wooded carved slab and decrotive tea sets. It's all about creating something special that can be passed down in families it's nice. Here's some of my teachers works. Absolutely amazing Imo and worth every dollar.  You can see the master level in the work compared to an apprentice.  All made on a banding wheel. 

1508675779062.jpg

1508675795278.jpg

1508675787266.jpg

1508676323227.jpg

1508676018426.jpg

Archived