RETRO FITTING A KILN SITTER?

Julie P

14 hours ago, High Bridge Pottery said:

The one in the ebay link is in the south-east. Looks ok for £100

Found the link - THANK YOU - Buy now is £250, so I will keep an eye on the auction today. You are a start High Bridge, thank you very much

8 hours ago, liambesaw said:

I do have one, has a chipped tube.  Would gladly ship it out.  Not sure what postage to Europe would cost, probably less than a new one anyway.  Free for the taking.  I have the control box and mounting panel too.

That is very kind of you Liambesaw. I may well take you up on the offer, will just see if I can get hold of that kiln suggested by High Bridge

@JDP When you look on eBay, if you select "completed listings", quite often they've not sold for as much as you think they might.  I sold a front loader last year that was donated to the scout campsite for the scrap metal value.  Got £40 for it.  The wiring was really old, no controller or sitter.  I usually find if it starts at 99p there will be a reserve set, if it starts at £50 or so, that's the minimum the seller is prepared to accept.

Good luck in your search.  I fired, as many on this forum, a manual kiln for a while, paid £25 for mine, then later added new elements and a programmer.  Still cheaper than new.

2 hours ago, oldlady said:

liam, if something on the sitter needs to be replaced, do it for jdp since it is a difficult thing to find in another country.   glad you can do this.:)

How long a tube it needs will depend on the kiln JDP is putting it on- thickness of the bricks, depth of the box, etc.

1 minute ago, neilestrick said:

How long a tube it needs will depend on the kiln JDP is putting it on- thickness of the bricks, depth of the box, etc.

Agreed.  My tube and housing is for a 3 inch walled kiln, not opposed to picking up a shorter tube, calibration disc and new cone holders before I ship it out if you need it.   That kiln on eBay looks pretty deluxe though.

3 hours ago, High Bridge Pottery said:

Sorry it was a really long link so I added the word ebay, made it harder to spot. 

Thank you so much for the steer High Bridge. Felixstowe would have been an 8 hour round trip for me too but it looked like it would be worth it. However, I'm afraid I was outbid, it went for just over the reserve at £251. That was a bargain for anyone who could use it as was, but I would also have  had to modify it, or, more probably, install a higher rated supply to my studio. I think we are likely to end up doing that . Thank you again

43 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

Agreed.  My tube and housing is for a 3 inch walled kiln, not opposed to picking up a shorter tube, calibration disc and new cone holders before I ship it out if you need it.   That kiln on eBay looks pretty deluxe though.

Thank you very much @liambesaw . Unfortunately I was outbid on that kiln, but I'll keep on looking. I was thinking of making my walls 41/2 inches in the hope of compensating a little for my 16amp supply. However I am no electrician, so not sure if it works likelthat.

2 hours ago, Chilly said:

@JDP When you look on eBay, if you select "completed listings", quite often they've not sold for as much as you think they might.  I sold a front loader last year that was donated to the scout campsite for the scrap metal value.  Got £40 for it.  The wiring was really old, no controller or sitter.  I usually find if it starts at 99p there will be a reserve set, if it starts at £50 or so, that's the minimum the seller is prepared to accept.

Good luck in your search.  I fired, as many on this forum, a manual kiln for a while, paid £25 for mine, then later added new elements and a programmer.  Still cheaper than new.

Thanks for the advice @Chilly I will look at that. I'm happy to start  manually but haven't seen anything going for a real bargain. I know there is one trader on eBay who sells a lot of reconditioned kilns. He has to get them from somewhere so I do wonder if he pushes up the prices. Will keep trying anyway.

That's a shame, hope you manage to find something suitable soon. I always found those kilns are the only cheapish small second hand kilns sold. The rest seem to be big front loaders from schools etc. Unless the big kilns are in great condition and you have the right electricity supply it's not even worth taking them away for free.  £250 plus a 400 mile trip is about the maximum that kiln was worth without knowing how good the electrics really are. 

Archived