Trouble shooting kiln elements

I have an older manual kiln. To be exact i have a Skutt 1027-208 2w 208v 1phase 48amps. I just installed all new  elements. Now the elements are getting heating up but they are not getting red hot. I left the kiln on high for an hour and only mild heat was coming from the kiln. Any advice for trouble shooting? I know i got the right elements because i confirmed with the kiln tech and my local ceramic supply. This is the first time ive installed new kiln elements so im very ready to admit ive made a mistake.

Assuming you've got the correct elements, it sounds like maybe you wired it up incorrectly. Double check that you've got the elements connected to the switches properly. In each section, you've got 4 element ends. The top element end should go to #2 on the switch. The two middle element ends should go to #1, and the bottom element end should go to #3. The two power wires coming from the Sitter connect to L and N on the switch. You may have to take out the switch to be able to see the labels.

Archived