Suggestions on how to fire abstract sculpture

Hi! I have formed an abstract sculpture that measures 18" high x 14" w . Each one of the oblong shapes is 4.5" deep and weights about 5.25 #s each at leather hard. This sculpture is hallow made from about 1/4" slab. I was wondering how best to bisque fire it, whether standing up vertical or laying horizontal. The pieces are not completely aligned with each other, rather each one is slightly twisted from the one below. There will be a base but I am making it separate (or it might be another material) so it can be mechanically fastened after firing.

If I fire it vertical, I am concerned about it slumping and cracking as they are connected only at the center neck. At the moment, I've put same clay, leather hard shims to help support the cantilevers if needed. Would the use of the supports help in the bisque firing and be sufficient in preventing the slumping? It would be much easier to dry and load the kiln this way. 

If I fire it horizontal, I was planning on placing it on a clay shrink pad with supports to level out the twisted aspect of the pieces. I've attached a rough side view sketch of what I mean, hopefully it makes sense. 

Also, I am planning for the finish to be a colored terra sigillata all around. If I applied the TS, will it stick to the clay shims or shrink pad in the bisque firing? I am thinking it won't because it is the same clay just finer particles but I could be wrong. 

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts and suggestions for potentially the best possible outcome. Thank you!

IMG_5425.JPG

IMG_5431.JPG

IMG_5435.JPG

IMG_5436.JPG

Is this low fire or mid fire or high fire clay?This info is missing from your story and is a key to answering you

(If I fire it horizontal, I was planning on placing it on a clay shrink pad with supports to level out the twisted aspect of the pieces. I've attached a rough side view sketch of what I mean, hopefully it makes sense. )

Yes fire it this way not standing up to bisque fire. Make shims of same moisture clay so they all shrink the same the waster slab under it all is a good idea it can be made and dried before putting sculpture on it.

Mark, yes apologies that I left out the firing temperature. I am planning to apply a colored Terra Sigillata while it is bone dry and polish. Then fire it to cone 06 or 04, only subjecting it to a bisque fire and not going to cone 6 for a second fire. It doesn't need to be vitrified.

Thank you for your feedback!

I fire to 05-04 regularly and never see slumping. However I've heard that ur firing schedule can make a difference with slumping. I had problems at 6 and got the advice later to do a longer firing schedule. Haven't tried it out yet. At the low temp ur going for I wouldn't be very worried about slumping, but I agree with the other suggestions here, horizontal with supports is probably the way to go just to b safe.

Archived