Evenheat kiln 5320XL, sitter kiln model k

Rhags

Hello! 

I was gifted this old kiln and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it? I’ve been searching the internet and haven’t been able to find this exact setup. I’m confused as to why it has 5+ lights but only one switch. Outlet hasn’t been installed yet so I haven’t even turned it on, but I’ve been looking for information on how to use it and no real luck so far. Even the directions in the side say to warm it gradually by turning one switch on every hour, yet there is only the one switch. Any info would be greatly appreciated!DEA7D4E8-152F-4866-BBF0-E414BB8F6D32.jpeg.443791ac23cdea63acbc17689a5cbedb.jpeg

It’s the same as this one, which is newer and was inside the kiln, among other things.   I’m thinking they had ordered this replacement part and never got around to installing it? When I have the outlet installed I’ll probably see if they can switch out this newer piece if needed 

78FE6689-3E4A-4D5D-B60B-55AA43BB958F.jpeg

This is what the inside of the switch box looks like. So would that be like 5 to begin, ~50 for medium and 100 for high? The panel on the side mentioned a timer so that’s what I thought it was at first,  but doesn’t make sense why the timer would be 0-100.

D4A1A54D-7FC2-4527-A742-FD273D62036B.jpeg

F180F3F1-276F-4064-A7D0-23B6197D4DD7.jpeg

My guess would be that as it heats up, the column of lights will light up in succession at, say, 20% intervals. Your ideal calibration method might be to get a range of witness cones and set them up in a line, lowest to highest, front to back, viewed through a peephole. Then check them to see which falls at each light. Another method would be to get a pyrometer so you can read the temp at each light. The last thing would be to get a kiln that we might have some info on...

You might try contacting Evenheat… they are still selling that model. They might be able to help you out. https://evenheat-kiln.com 

Haha good point, I didn’t really know what I was dealing with until I had the thing and started trying to figure out how it works! We picked it up second hand for $150 and it seems to be in good shape so I figured it was worth a shot! But thank you both for the responses/info. Once I get it hooked up I’ll hop back on here and give an update. Thanks again!

@Rhags

There Appears to be a five lobed infinite switch controlling the elements. Infinite switches allow gradual heating by cycling the element on and off. The switches  sort of act as their own relay. So low, medium, and high are certainly possible but so are settings in between allowing to fine tune the firing. A setting of 50% should give you medium, but a setting off 40% should also give you 40% power or less than medium, but more than low.

Each  element has an indicator light which should show when it is turned on and when cycled off by the infinite switch.

I do not see a safety timer so watching the end of firing for this kiln is prudent in the event the kiln sitter malfunctions

Having  looked at this a bit closer, this infinite switch appears to have a timer motor built in so  I believe it acts as above but simply steps on and off based upon the drive motor attached to it. It still acts as a proportionate  control (volume control) but likely does not depend on the current draw of the elements above.

This timer appears to be for switch function only and not a safety timer to shut the kiln completely off after a predetermined number of hours of operation.

nice kiln!

Archived