Sign in to follow this  
TotterdownPotterdown

Bright underglazes becoming dark

Hi, i had some really nice results from stoneware with bright underglazes and sgraffito which looked really vibrant after the bisque firing. But then after applying a transparent glaze and 2nd firing I was disappointed that the colours have darkened and the piece has lost it's 'fresh' appearance. Is there something I can do to maintain the colours? Thanks 

You can try using a clear glaze with no zinc.  Zinc will mute some colors, especially greens, pinks, purples.  But a lot has to do with how hot it's fired too, some underglazes just don't turn out great above lowfire.  You can try different brands.  I really like amaco velvet underglazes but have some mayco ones that look nice at cone 6 as well.

Like Liam, I use the Amaco Velvet Underglazes. On Amaco's website they have photos of how each glaze looks on white stoneware fired at cone 6 and at cone 10, with and without clear glaze over them.

The only color that went from pleasing to me on bisque firing to disappointing at Cone 6 was the terracotta color.  This was my mistake, though. The color samples told me to expect it to go to a toasty brown.