Shimpo Bantam Carbon brushes

Has anyone found replacement carbon brushes for a Shimpo Bantam wheel. They were made and sold in the US in1977. They have a 200 w, 1/4 hp, 90 VDC motor. A friend bought one 2nd hand. I got the written material for it off the Nidec website (Shimpo’s current manufacturer). It stated about the only thing that canmade it stop is that the carbon brushes wear out and need to be replaced. I emailed Nidec’s chat line, that said they had no parts. If anyone knows of a source or has some laying around let me know. Thanks for your time. Dave

Do the motor repair shop if possible. They will be much more likely to match the carbon / copper content of t(e brushes  and will also  clean the grooves between the commutator if necessary. One question are the brushes completely worn away? Are we sure it is a brush issue or foot pedal or anything that supplies power to this?

@Harmony ClayWorks, as previously said look into motor repair shops but also automotive/truck parts shops, brushes are still used in starter motors and alternators. Then there are also repair shops for all the major brands of corded hand tools. I would take one of the brushes out and actually go into some shops. If you walk into the right shop with luck you will find someone who is actually motivated to  look through the catalogues/stock room. There are also commercial suppliers where they will cut new brushes from a sheet/strip and install the original leads into the new brushes. If the new set of brushes are slightly too snug they can be lightly and very carefully sanded down to fit.

Just a thought, many of these motors are still produced so I think a search on the web will be productive. I still think it wise to at least check the brushes if your friend is comfortable with that to make sure that is the problem. This motor was likely made by a motor company so most often the actual data is on the nameplate for the motor. All things that are fairly easy to pursue. I googled 90v Dc motors and got a whole bunch of hits. 

one  right in Wisconsin that says they repair. I think it’s likely fixable with a little research and effort.

best of luck!

ECF6851E-D50C-41EF-A28A-6CF4C7FBFAB0.jpeg

Archived