roto cast

Greetings; I am completely new to ceramic tech...I have designed a line of products that I origionally intended to produce in plastics, I am now considering using fired ceramics instead. This line of products are basically figurines that would be roto or slush cast...because of the complexity and many under cuts constructing hard molds with drafts etc would prove difficult so I would like to use a flexable rubber mold but these are not able to draw out moisture so my question is this...Is there a product that is self setting similar to plaster of paris that can then be fired into a ceramic like porcelin or stone ware?

I do not understand the problem.

Normally you would make a copy of your product and then create a plaster mold in sections. The number of sections woud be determined by the complexity of the form. After the plaster is set and dry, clay slip can be poured into the mold.

You need to make sure to drain the excess slip after set up. Addition pieces can be slipped in place after removed from mold.

You cannot fire extremely thick clay, it is likely to explode.

Show examples of your product for more ideas.

"Is there a product that is self setting similar to plaster of paris that can then be fired into a ceramic like porcelin or stone ware?"

I have never heard of one. I make molds from castable materials that can be fired but the resulting mold is not smooth enough to contain a finished product. There are mold making consulting services that might be able to help you. I don't think you will be able to get away from multiple part molds if you have so many undercuts.

Archived