Sign in to follow this  
VladCruceanu

Need your opinion on this particular slab roller model

I can buy this used slab roller cheap - around 250 euro,  it would be my first such equipment, and I need to know if it's worth it. A new identical one costs around 500 euro. 

On this link you can see several pics of the equipment:

https://www.olx.ro/oferta/calandru-pentru-intinderea-masei-ceramice-IDbHt8G.html

What do you think? What should I check? I searched for the company on the internet and I cannot find it, pretty weird.

I'm not a big fan of slab rollers where the roller moves along the table. Those with a double roller that pulls the clay through are easier to adjust slab thickness, and are easier to maintain. I think those exposed chains underneath are a bit of a safety hazard, too.

3 hours ago, Mark C. said:

I feel you want two rollers-not sure if this is two roller or one?

Two is best. One not so good.

I don’t know which type is this one, probably one roller. Maybe somebody can answer this question.

2 hours ago, neilestrick said:

I'm not a big fan of slab rollers where the roller moves along the table. Those with a double roller that pulls the clay through are easier to adjust slab thickness, and are easier to maintain. I think those exposed chains underneath are a bit of a safety hazard, too.

Usually, slab rollers cost a lot more, probably this one is reflecting its low price. A new is around 500 euro. The company which is producing this equipment cannot be found on the internet and the product description is extremely basic.

I have seen the selling announce and the low price made me checked it. I am looking to buy a slab roller in 2019, so I started to search and find out more about different equipments.

Thank you both for the replies.

Agree with above posters about the two rollers instead of one.

The one you listed does have chains, which is an improvement over ones that use cables (IMO). All the cable "geared/guided/powered" ones develop slack in the cables during use, which can be adjusted, however, eventually they begin to fray with extended use and are sharp on your fingers when you run into them (like a bad wire tool).

That being said, if you're on a budget, there are plans out there for building your own slab roller using PVC and plywood. I cant remember the "cost" to build your own, but it was substantially cheaper than commercial units that I looked at.

Another way to save money (this is what I did), is to buy just the "machine" portion of the slab roller and build your own table. I bought one of bailey's 24" models and built my own table from plywood. It just so happens that bailey has a sale going on now which is cheaper than I paid, and has free freight. If you can get it to the UK, then might be a heck of a deal. Nice thing about building your own table is you can make it whatever height/size you want. I opted for a 28" wide top, which is 8 feet long on the outfeed end. Doubles as a work table and slab roller. Made the height higher too so I dont have to crane my neck.

Still, making my own cost me about $1000 including the cost of the machine, so double the price of what the used unit is selling for, but for what I have, the investment was lots better. Making your own entirely you'd probably have 200-300. If budget is a super big issue, and you dont make a ton of slabs, some slats ripped down to thickness, and slabs rolled out with a big rolling pin, costs next to nothing.

If you're looking for a cheap slab roller, making your own is one option.   I looked at loads before coming up with this design.

The other is to look for antique mangles/wringers - the hand wound machine they used to use to remove water from laundry.  I bought mine for £25 and gave it a pressure wash, a coat of paint and use a board and different thickness slats to get different thickness slabs.