Holidays and Themes

I'm very happy with how my Snowflakes  series came out. Last year I did ornaments in porcelain, this year made stoneware candy dishes & small tray-like pieces.  I'm narrowing down which  images (i.e. stamps) to use and which glazes look best. My favorite combination: Coyote's Crystal Forest and Laguna's slow cool Ivory Crystal (bottom pic). I also like  Coyote's Turquoise Matte w/clear (top pic).  The feedback I'm getting tells me I'm heading in the right direction and I've decided to target holidays & seasons next year. I don't want to do craft fairs, so I am cultivating a relationship with a bead artist who just "loves" doing these shows (wha???) and may be willing to set me up at the crack of dawn for a modest fee, and I'll show up a bit later. 

I would love to see some other holiday/theme pieces you've had success with, re: good sellers.  To me, seasonals are a different product than generic "anytime/year-round" items that are not visually tied to something like, for example, Valentine's Day.   I assume they may take a different marketing approach?? Or not?? Any tips??? Thanks.  

20181212_145531.jpg

(I know the above color is off-just a quickee reference pic on the fly).

20181212_145950.jpg

The top one is very pretty. Usually I don't go for holiday-themed things, ether to make (not counting Christmas cookies!) or to buy, but if I saw that first little snowflake tray near me, I might rethink that.

On first glance, the one on the bottom looked to me like a puzzle. Are you the person who once had the challenge to make a toy out of clay and made a turtle? Would a bag of porcelain or stoneware puzzle pieces that could be assembled double as a coaster?

I like the color variation in your glazes, also how "fat" the clear is. The Ivory Crystal is nicely frosty. Are they ^6?

I noticed that Mark is still doing candlestick holders, so they must still have a market. Maybe you could add your LeeU inflection to some hand built ones based on the little dishes?

The only holiday themed items I make are ornaments.  I love making them, practicing new surface design techniques on them.  For me it is fun.  And profitable.  I sell lots and lots of them.  I make a different shape each year, and discovered that I have people who collect them, looking forward to new ones each year.  They are a small kiln filler, that people can purchase to tie on a gift for tags or hang on the tree.  When I first started doing craft shows, I made more holiday items.  They simply did not sell that well (in my area) and people were looking for items for everyday use.  As I said, could be my area.  

I LOVE the snowflake tray!  The first picture.  It is perfect!

Roberta

Body & glazes are cone 5. The "puzzle piece" looking imprints on the bottom one are partially impressed cookie cutter designs. I like the idea of a changing  annual shape or theme, and something light/small enough to tie onto a gift.   (Yes-I made Mr. Turtle.)

I have a really nice one that I broke, it sounded beautiful and when it broke I found out why.   Each of the flat pieces was hollow! No idea how they did it, it didn't look slip cast.

It was definitely stoneware though, the walls of each donger were about 3mm thick, rectangles about 3 inches long, hanging from a thrown bell.

18 hours ago, LeeU said:

Are there known clay bodies that make the best sounds for mobiles? 

I've got my mobiles set up so they don't clash.  One in the sewing room this morning drove me round the bend.  Had to get the step stool out and adjust the string length.  Silence, ahhh.

Our ornaments are always hand carved one off signed by the artist gifts attached to gifts as a personal touch. Intentionally they are time consuming and top shelf made from cone 6 porcelain, fired to 6 and completely glazed. They do ring nicely when struck. Thank Goodness! Spraying these things very evenly is time consuming let alone all the hand carving and decorating!

below are the rejects. Maybe I will make them into a mobile!

• 4 weeks later...

They are about three to four inches long, cone six porcelain fired to six,  hand carved, hand underglazed, signed by the artist on the back with a date (year) and glazed all sides using one of two tested  durable glaze clear recipes . (Matte and gloss) sprayed by me. Nice even coats all around, no drips, same thickness.

then they are affixed to various presents as a new Christmas keepsake.

what are they worth? I’ll let you answer that.

thanks BTW I appreciate the compliment.

Archived