Sign in to follow this  
blackbeen

Bailey Pro Xl vs Shimpo Vl Whisper

Hello,

I want to takl a few lessons here and there, and I want to setup something to spend time more at home. I want to do this once and get a decent wheel :)

I really liked Bailey's splash pan, it's really appealing to be able to clean easily. However I'm a bit concerned that I don't see Bailey sold everywhere, making me wonder if they are in any way less reputable than other brands? The other wheel which I had in mind before I saw the Bailey was the Shimpo VL Whisper... If you were to choose between these, would you say I could go wrong with either? Brent also seems to have many options - but a bit more expensive.

Bailey makes their own wheels, and sells them from their store, the reason you don't see Bailey's everywhere. I have used them, bought them, and found them to be great wheels. . . not as great as maybe a Brent CXC, or a Stuart top end, but still good work horses. I purchased 4 over a few years for a school studio in the 90's, and they are still cranking in that studio even now. . .I am the only one retired.

More info might help. . . a search on the main menu of the forum will bring up many wheel related posts. Of which one is the following:

best,

Pres

I have a Bailey ST entry level (lowest price) wheel.  I love the big splash pan, which on this wheel is removable. My Bailey doesn't make a lot of noise, even at its top speed.   I got mine second hand and didn't know much about wheel brands at the time.  One Bailey  ad in Ceramics Monthly a few years ago bragged about how Alfred U replaced a studio's worth of wheels with top of the line Baileys.

I've needed new belts and a new potentiometer over the years.  These parts cost less than $20 each.  I contacted Bailey and described what the wheel was doing wrong.  The tech diagnosed and prescribed immediately.  The new parts came within a week, complete with easy directions.

I've used Shimpo Whispers in classes and like how they stop and start instantly, and they are as quiet as the name implies.  But I've also heard a story about someone who had to send to Japan for a new part.

Cynthia

I got me a Shimpo VL Whisper about a year and a half ago. Besides the quiet operation it's always been able to handle the workload I've put on it.  So far I haven't  done any 30lb plus projects yet but it's been awesome for everything else. It's a great wheel I love it!