Cracked handle

I'm in an intro ceramics class and my very last project is to make a teapot. My handle cracked over the weekend, probably because I didn't let it dry slow enough. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do about it? Just trying to get a second opinion. Is it going to be fine if I'm careful while firing and glazing? I just really need this to turn out okay.

I don't think the handle is repairable, and wouldn't take the chance of a hot pot of tea getting dumped on someone because of a weak handle repair. The crack is probably due to overworking the clay. If the pot is just for a class assignment and won't be used you might be able to repair it with spooze but it's iffy if it will work. Do you have time to make another teapot? If this is for grades that might be your best option.

Wrepar it with spooze. Drill holes in base   plant s fern in it. Repaired handle as above by Min. Holes in base means it will never be filled with boiling liquid and so risk scalding someone in future.

Tell your prof.  it's for your Granny's plant:-))))

8 hours ago, Min said:

I don't think the handle is repairable, and wouldn't take the chance of a hot pot of tea getting dumped on someone because of a weak handle repair. The crack is probably due to overworking the clay. If the pot is just for a class assignment and won't be used you might be able to repair it with spooze but it's iffy if it will work. Do you have time to make another teapot? If this is for grades that might be your best option.

Thanks for the help! Sadly my Prof is no longer allowing us to work with wet clay as the end of the semester is approaching. A teapot is our "final test". I just need it to make it to grading and that's it. I was really excited about it but I will just have to use it as a decoration!

4 hours ago, Babs said:

Wrepar it with spooze. Drill holes in base   plant s fern in it. Repaired handle as above by Min. Holes in base means it will never be filled with boiling liquid and so risk scalding someone in future.

Tell your prof.  it's for your Granny's plant:-))))

Good idea!!:)

No matter how well the repair looks really do toss it after grading (or make the planter :) because it probably will fail at some point no matter how sturdy it seems after glazing. The thin glass from glazing will make it look fine because of where the crack is it might seem to be holding under weight, but that would only last for a bit and a whole pot of boiling water could really be dangerous. 

Welcome to the forum!

I've had similar things happen to some of my handles.  On one of those occasions, I was trying to quick dry some mugs, on the classroom's radiator/ blower.  I'm fairly certain that quick drying and the quick shrinkage that came with it, caused the issue.  The clay particles, in body of the mug, were shrinking one way, and the particles in the pulled handle, were set up different, and couldn't keep up with how the body was shrinking. 

Archived