how is this glaze pattern made?

shawnhar

Hmmmm...I've looked at a lot of wood ash glazed pots that do not have that pattern. I really like the "tree root" pattern, looks like they dripped glaze down somehow but not sure how they got it to "branch" like that. I like the way the lines break off and connect to nearby lines, any way to get that with cone 6 electric?

Ash glazes can be fun. I use them some on small stuff.

You just need to remember they can run like crazy

Heres a large teapot with just the top covered with ash glaze. The bottom is a stable black glaze-at cone 10 reduction -electric folks need to use low temp fluxes

This pot is from a propane fired kiln

I make mine with wood ash from burned apple trees that I gathered years ago after pruning our orchard heavy.

This teapot is made by a retired professional potter friend and its big at 7x10 inch (not counting handle size)

Its made in two pieces and glazed together not something you see much but the design works well as does the functionality .

I have had this for about 3 decades or more now in the kitchen-its to big for us two to use.

I published that black glaze in this years Ceramic Monthly February issue

Godzilla in in for scale

ash1.jpg

ash 2.jpg

Awesome shape on that teapot! I don't use teapots and haven't made one yet, but I saved these pics as a reference to try and emulate. The teapot in  our class looks pathetic compared to that one.

-  Love the godzilla for scale,  now I'm jealous, I don't have a godzilla reference type item, ur makin me want to dig around in some storage boxes.

From John Britt's ^6 glaze book - Ashleigh's Rivulet and Val's Rivulet  work nicely. I am using Hannah's Fake Ash Iron and SH Copper Ash regularly. These 2 glazes work much better if applied thinly. If applied thick they will not run as much and will pinhole badly. The Hannah's Fake Ash Blue is finicky even though it is the same glaze base as Hannah's Fake Ash Iron. The Blue must be applied even thinner than the Iron. I mainly use the Fake Ashes on the top 1/4 of the pot.

Also, the Fake Ash glaze needs to be on the piece without a glaze under it. And, the Fake Ash glaze should not be covered with much of any other glaze.

Archived