slightly wobbly wheel head

Lafree

Hello everyone,

I have a Thomas Stuart potter's wheel that has a wheel head that is off center.  I've had the wheel for about 12 years and have used it off and on.  Can anyone tell me what I need to do to fix the wheel head?  The clay will not center at the bottom but I can center it as I move the clay up.

Thank you

44 minutes ago, Lafree said:

Hello everyone,

I have a Thomas Stuart potter's wheel that has a wheel head that is off center.  I've had the wheel for about 12 years and have used it off and on.  Can anyone tell me what I need to do to fix the wheel head?  The clay will not center at the bottom but I can center it as I move the clay up.

Thank you

Not sure how the wheel head is attached to the shaft but on my shimpo sometimes I need to remove the wheel head, clean the underside and put it back on and crank the sucker back on tight.

Doesnt affect my centering but it's annoying as frig.

Does your wheel head move side to side if you try to move it?  If so it could be a bearing going out as well

A few troubleshooting questions:

1.  Has the wheel head always been off center or is this something that developed?

2. Is the wheel sitting level? Check front-back, side-side on both wheel head and on the table top (they should be the same).  If not, level the wheel,

3. When you take the wheel head off (all TS/Skutt wheel heads are removable), when you engage the foot pedal does the shaft have any wobble or does it spin true?

4. Is there anything where the shaft and wheel head connect that is keeping the wheel head from seating correctly?  Good opportunity to clean and apply anti-seize. Reinstall and reconfirm that the wheel head is level.

5. Does it make a difference if you remove the wheel head, rotate it 180 degrees and reinstall it?

6. Any unusual noises when you are centering?

I'd also give Skutt (they purchased TS wheels) a call - live bodies answer the phone and they have reputation for good customer service. 

Let us know what you find out. 

-SD 

First take off the wheel head and clean out the hole for the shaft. Remove all grease, clay dust, etc. Get it totally clean and shiny. You might need to use a solvent to get all the grease off. Also clean off the shaft that it sits on. Again, get it totally clean and shiny. Then apply a small glob of anti-seize lubricant (get it at the auto parts store) to the shaft, spread it around, and put the wheel head back on. If it still isn't sitting level, remove it and turn it 90 degrees. Sometimes they only sit level one way.

19 hours ago, liambesaw said:

Not sure how the wheel head is attached to the shaft but on my shimpo sometimes I need to remove the wheel head, clean the underside and put it back on and crank the sucker back on tight.

Doesnt affect my centering but it's annoying as frig.

Does your wheel head move side to side if you try to move it?  If so it could be a bearing going out as well

yes, my wheel head has a little side to side  movement.  I am being shipped out a new bearing from Skutt to see if thats the problem.  

12 hours ago, S. Dean said:

A few troubleshooting questions:

1.  Has the wheel head always been off center or is this something that developed?

2. Is the wheel sitting level? Check front-back, side-side on both wheel head and on the table top (they should be the same).  If not, level the wheel,

3. When you take the wheel head off (all TS/Skutt wheel heads are removable), when you engage the foot pedal does the shaft have any wobble or does it spin true?

4. Is there anything where the shaft and wheel head connect that is keeping the wheel head from seating correctly?  Good opportunity to clean and apply anti-seize. Reinstall and reconfirm that the wheel head is level.

5. Does it make a difference if you remove the wheel head, rotate it 180 degrees and reinstall it?

6. Any unusual noises when you are centering?

I'd also give Skutt (they purchased TS wheels) a call - live bodies answer the phone and they have reputation for good customer service. 

Let us know what you find out. 

-SD 

Thank you for all of the insight... I am being shipped a new bearing.  One of the people who works at Skutt believes that is the issue.

7 hours ago, neilestrick said:

First take off the wheel head and clean out the hole for the shaft. Remove all grease, clay dust, etc. Get it totally clean and shiny. You might need to use a solvent to get all the grease off. Also clean off the shaft that it sits on. Again, get it totally clean and shiny. Then apply a small glob of anti-seize lubricant (get it at the auto parts store) to the shaft, spread it around, and put the wheel head back on. If it still isn't sitting level, remove it and turn it 90 degrees. Sometimes they only sit level one way.

Thank you, I will try this because I haven't cleaned the shaft or the wheel head.  If this solves the problem that would be wonderful.  

Archived