Whitest white stoneware with no grog? ^6

moh

Hi everyone,

Today I said ENOUGH! to porcelain after many failed loads with large porcelain pots. My mistress demands too much and now I will go looking for stoneware instead. 
What is the whitest white ^6 stoneware you've come across that could almost be mistaken for porcelain? If that's too much, you can take away the "mistaken for porcelain" part :)

Ah yes, one of my favourite topics.  Where is the border between porcelain and stoneware, anyway?  When does stoneware become so porcelain-like that it “could almost be mistaken for porcelain?”  Where indeed!

While you waiting for real answers/suggestions from our cone 6 contingent, you may wish to amuse yourself by browsing a thread on these forums entitled “Stoneware Limit Study” started by  Glazenerd, in which such matters are thoroughly reviewed... :lol:

you can try bodies that are 1/2 and 1/2

you can try white stoneware bodies like BMIX

you can add fine grog to porcelain then it throws better

I'm not familiar with the limitations of cone 6 body choices  but am aware they exist

@min I'm based in Portland, OR. I currently use Silver Falls by Georgies, and just do a clear base glaze which is why the whiteness i very important.

I'm looked at all the stonewares they have but nothing quite white like Silver Falls.
Silver Falls has an ever slight cream color to it, in the sense that it's not white like Frost.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

17 minutes ago, moh said:

@min I'm based in Portland, OR. I currently use Silver Falls by Georgies, and just do a clear base glaze which is why the whiteness i very important.

I'm looked at all the stonewares they have but nothing quite white like Silver Falls.
Silver Falls has an ever slight cream color to it, in the sense that it's not white like Frost.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Since you're pretty close, shipping probably wouldn't be bad, but SPS alpine white is fairly white.

http://www.seattlepotterysupply.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=sps_ecat&Category_Code=SC1

1 hour ago, moh said:

I currently use Silver Falls by Georgies, and just do a clear base glaze which is why the whiteness i very important.

If you don't think Georgies White Salmon is white enough I don't think B-Mix, Alpine White, Dover White, DIGI6 or Laguna 1/2 & 1/2 are whiter. I found Dover, Alpine and Laguna 1/2&1/2 all to be quite gritty. Like Fred suggested, could you try wedging some fine molochite into your Silver Falls and test that? If it works ask Georgies to do a custom mix of it for you.

How are the porcelain pots failing? I don't find that white stoneware bodies are necessarily any more forgiving than porcelain. They have their own issues that must be dealt with, just like porcelain has issues that must be dealt with. And the only similarity, in my opinion, is that they are both smooth. But they really don't feel anything alike. Totally different plasticity and all that. If you can tell us where the problem is with the porcelain, we may be able to help fix it. I would also recommend trying a different porcelain, as they are by no means created equal.

Archived