NCECA noob needs advice

OMG, just bought my plane tickets. School is footing the bill for the hotel. I just need to come up with the rest of the cash for the conference fees.

I started working in clay 21 years ago and this is my first NCECA, so you can imagine how excited I am.

I was checking out the info and it seems like there is way too much to see in the 4 days I'm there. Can you give any advice to a noob? What not to miss? I live in Cali so I'm really excited to see work from the east coast and abroad, stuff I would usually not get a chance to see in person.

Also, I will bring a sample of my portfolio and I want to get as many eyes as possible to give me feed back. Is there something for that?

I'm getting ready for a show in late April but I was considering making some cups for the cup sale. Do a lot of people go to this and how does it work? Is it an auction type thing or everything is the same price? For an unknown artist, what are the advantages (besides helping fund the scholarships)?

Stephen Robinson's advice is really good. I will definately take as many pics/notes as possible.

Super looking forward to Mimi Gates lecture on the development of porcelain technologies in China.

Thanks in advance,

Spring

the cup,sale is a fundraiser. People set their price. many ate waiting all night for the doors to open. Great pieces by all kinds of people.

as for showing your work, maybe just sit down and talk to people.

There is always too much to see. the Santa Fe Clay show is usually good. potters Council show should be good too.

There are buses to go on different gallery routes. No way to see them all. It is best to plan to see what you want. Go over the program and manage your time well. The exhibitors in the commercial area is always wonderful for picking up tools and supplies. I usually ship a box of goodies home.

The Randall lecture is usually inspiring, the dance is fun and the keynote speaker is usually good too. last year was Malcolm Davis and he was brilliant. RIP.

Marcia

the cup,sale is a fundraiser. People set their price. many ate waiting all night for the doors to open. Great pieces by all kinds of people.

as for showing your work, maybe just sit down and talk to people.

There is always too much to see. the Santa Fe Clay show is usually good. potters Council show should be good too.

There are buses to go on different gallery routes. No way to see them all. It is best to plan to see what you want. Go over the program and manage your time well. The exhibitors in the commercial area is always wonderful for picking up tools and supplies. I usually ship a box of goodies home.

The Randall lecture is usually inspiring, the dance is fun and the keynote speaker is usually good too. last year was Malcolm Davis and he was brilliant. RIP.

Marcia

The first thing to realize is that you are not going to be able to do it all and you will miss some terrific things ... But if you go to the NCECA website and download the program and the bus routes you should be in a good position to be able to choose what you want to see. I should have written you as YOU because your tastes are the most important factors. I will see shows and lectures that would not interest you and vice versa. If you are out there doing things, visiting shows, doing a bus tour or walking the easy to reach shows you are going to be overwhelmed and over loaded with ideas and inspiration. Don't be afraid to start clay conversations with others ... a huge percentage are there alone looking for connections too. You never know who you might meet!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived