Clay contamination

John cook

Generally, the only color that I am concerned with is bright white, as that usually means some pieces of plaster found their way into the scraps.

If it is any other color, black, brown, yellow, a less brilliant, and far more fuzzy white, then it's all good.

Like Denice said, a lot of people like the "aged" clay.  It's like a fine wine/ whiskey or an *allegedly* good cheese. 

Whatta ya mean "allegedly" good cheese!! Nothin' better than a good 'ole stinky cheese! "In traditional French cheese-making the cheese-maker leaves a local loaf of sourdough bread, teeming with starter cultures, in underground caves rich with penicillium roqueforti. He lets the bread get moldy then grinds up the moldy loaf and mixes the breadcrumbs with the milk curd. The cheeses are then aged in the caves where the bread went moldy; this encourages the development of blue veins." Yum! So, as with a great Roquefort, moldy clay is just awesome (well, maybe not the Cool Ice or Frost procelains! 

On 9/20/2018 at 9:44 AM, Benzine said:

or an *allegedly* good cheese. 

I used to find black areas in our slop buckets, always stank, dark black. after a few years finally realized what it was. . . . kids were throwing paper towels into the slop after cleaning up their areas. They took very little time to really rot out in the clay usually 4-6 months. Cheap paper!

best,

Pres

On 9/22/2018 at 5:03 PM, Pres said:

I used to find black areas in our slop buckets, always stank, dark black. after a few years finally realized what it was. . . . kids were throwing paper towels into the slop after cleaning up their areas. They took very little time to really rot out in the clay usually 4-6 months. Cheap paper!

best,

Pres

Yep, I've run in to that too Pres. 

Unintentional paper clay, with some added aging. 

Archived