Cone 10 Glazes for Electric Kiln

LeeU

I just learned that the anagama firing I thought I would be in this fall is full. :(    I could only afford 24" of shelf space in the kiln so I don't have a lot of pieces, but I do have enough clay to make more pieces, so I can fill my L&L and fire at my studio-so I'm going to do that. The bodies are Troy cone 10 porcelain and Sheffield ^10 "Z". My pieces are highly textured, rough, and generally hefty--no pretty bowls, lovely mugs, or smooth plates!  I want some colorful glazes that will do well in an electric high fire. I already have a brown shino, a tennmoku, a white, and a clear. I have no particular need to have a reduction "look"-and am avoiding more browns.  I use  commercial wet /pints. Can be from any supplier in the U.S.  I am hoping a few folks will share some of their experience with specific products suggestions that I could try. I'll probably get at least 3 different glazes. Attached is a sample of a bisqued piece, if that helps.  Thanks in advance. 

20180915_224243s.jpg

20180915_224325s.jpg

If your shino is a true shino, it will not develop any color in an oxidation firing. Your tenmoku will also probably not develop typical tenmoku colors, but will be more brown than black, and break to yellow rather than red. To show your textures on your pieces, you may want to do some rubbed in stains, or use transparent colored glazes that will puddle well into the textures. Are you looking for glossy or matte finishes?

Thanks Neil--the shino & tennmoku glazes I have were formulated for the anagama firings under John Baymore/Chris Archer of NHIA--so I imagine they are true glazes! Any surface is fine-gloss or matte-I think I will try some stains, have not done that yet. I also saw some nice blues on supplier sites.

Thanks Preeta-I am so rural there are no gas or wood people anywhere near me and truthfully I don't want to use anyone else's kiln anyway. No deadline-I just love the anagama experience & results. It was my own darn fault-it did not even occur to me to register early! I am now looking forward to going to 10 in my kiln, but am only doing it to finish these pieces and use up the rest of the clay-then no more ^10 in the electric. 

Archived