wedging table

yedrow

I need to make a wedging table and there are two types of plaster at my pottery supplier, No. 1 pottery plaster and Hydrostone. I've never worked with plaster before and was wondering which one would work best. Also, will the same type be workable for making plaster bats?

Thanks.

I use #1 for molds and big wedging slabs which I form in adjustable formers and seal off with coils of clay; just read around the subject for mixing plaster and the formula for volume etc. You can find this online if you noodle and Google. One tip I've found very useful is to put a heavy gauge plastic garbage bag in the mixing bucket. Makes clean up simple, and you can take your time and not feel you have to beat the clock with hardening plaster in bucket and tools when you want to smooth down your wedging slab etc. Have a separate bucket of water for rinsing hands and tools in.

I'd use #1 pottery as hydrastone is so hard and used more for sculpture I think

I have used casting plaster as well for wedging tables as well but 1# will work fine

I'm no plaster expert just a potter who has used lots of plaster.

Mark

I built a table for the college I work at and they had me use cement. I have a plaster one at home. I've read that is best to cover either type with cloth, so you do not get plaster or cement in your clay. If you do use cloth, you streach it out first in a wooden form the size you want the table top to be, pour in the plaster or cement and after it is hard you can flip it over so the cloth is on top. At least that is how I did mine. I guess you could streach the cloth over the top after it was poured too and anchor it on the sides. When I was in school all the wedging tables were a little above waist high ( I'm about 5 10)so when I built my own I lowered them to what is about hip high and you can get a lot more push on your clay when you wedge it. Seems like it is less work at a lower height. something you might consider. ain't clay fun Kabe

Archived