How would you make this?

In this month's Ceramics Monthly on page 13, #4 is a sort of long "basket" in a blue-green.

How was this probably made?  Did it start as if one were making a long box, with carving to make it appear to be made of more pieces?  Was one original piece the four walls, another the bottom, and then the handles applied after?

I want to try to hand-build something like it and would love advice. I have never tried to make anything that isn't basically round.

I don't have access to the image, you are referring to, but there are a couple different ways I would approach a "basket" texture.

If the woven pieces were wide enough, I would actually weave or overlap them to create that pattern/ texture, as you would with the actual basket material (wicker?)

If the texture were a lot smaller, I would use a pressed, or rolled on texture, from some type of plate or stamp.

My very last method, would be to carve the pattern/ texture.  

16 minutes ago, Benzine said:

I don't have access to the image, you are referring to, but there are a couple different ways I would approach a "basket" texture.

If the woven pieces were wide enough, I would actually weave or overlap them to create that pattern/ texture, as you would with the actual basket material (wicker?)

If the texture were a lot smaller, I would use a pressed, or rolled on texture, from some type of plate or stamp.

My very last method, would be to carve the pattern/ texture.  

Thanks.  I agree with everything you have suggested for the image you are visualizing.

What I am asking about is a lot simpler. I am asking about how it was built prior to any application of texture. On this image the texture was applied either with a roller or with slip, I think.  I am not having trouble with that.

I think "basket" might have been the wrong word for me to use here. I called it a basket because it is about 6" by 9" oblong with handles but it has a more rounded appearance than would be conveyed by "deep handled tray." If Minnie Mouse were to carry a handled tray into the sitting room, it might be shaped like this.

Gabby, I have looked at the picture, and believe that the wheel thrown is part of the key here. I would think that a cylinder 3-4" high was thrown partly, then stamped with a roller stamp, then the cylinder shaped outward somewhat. Then another cylinder similar was made without stamping. The artist then used the pieces from the two to make the form on rolled slab adding the handles last. My clue to the shaping after stamping is the curving of the lines from the roller and the slight variation in size of dots from bottom to top.

best,

Pres

I would go about it with one of the same ways as you make an oval or rectangular pot. Throw a bottomless wall of clay, take it off the wheel and while soft leather shape walls to the oval shape and attach it to a slab base. Shape the sides, add the handles. If handbuilding start with the same idea, rectangular slab of clay joined to make the oval basket shape. I would work the rim with a rib to thicken and soften it, might need to add a coil and blend it in to get the fullness. Then the rest would be the same making procedure as if you started with thrown walls. I'ld work with the clay when it's as soft as possible to belly it out and to manipulate the base.  The dots and lines looks like slip trailing to me.

I would make it out of one thrown piece. A bottomless big ring on a plastic bat. Then I’d turn it into an oval. I would then alter with the ribs on the side like the way bill van guilder alters his bowls. 

Let it be to stiffen a bit or until clay not tacky.  Then I would push out the pillowy sections. 

I might even throw the cylinder to the sides to stretch a bit. 

The bottom is like Martha Grover.  She has a few v. Helpful videos on YouTube. When you stretch you get the wavy form  or you cut. And then attach the bottom. 

The decoration looks like slip trailing to me. 

Ooh Min I’m just seeing your reply. Yup on the rim. She is pushing down.  

Gabby if you are not good at throwing yet, don’t make a bottomless pot. They are really hard to do. Keep a bottom but make it very thin. 

Archived