Paint/Stain on Stoneware removal?

Hi all, 

I was wondering if any one with paint removal from stoneware could help me out. Long story short, i just bough a few beautiful giant Gainey Stoneware scratch pot planters and I feel as though a previous owner or  may have stained or painted the pots a really dark brown color. I get that feeling because the color has inconstancies like a stain or paint would and when i picked them up to carry them they left brown pigment on my skin (not sure how they would have colored them originally if they did, whether it be paint or pigment). I also get that notion because the third pot is the same size as the other two, but is a nice cardboard sandy brown color which i love. (images of all attached here)

So I was wondering, will soaking these pots in paint stripper remove the paint/stain, along with some help from a brush without damaging the stoneware? Love the pots, just want to return them to their original glory and  have a matching set. 

Thanks!

s-l1600 (1).jpg

IMG_3941_edited.jpg

The pots being porous??? You may as Gabby suggested be able to remove a lot by using water but I don' think the clay will release all the oxide  from its cavities

Strong jets of water, steam cleaner??

Unless paint, stripper a bit drastic

KAL. I suspect the culprit might be limewash paint. Esp if u see residue on your hands.  After all they are used to paint lime bricks. 

If indeed it IS limewash paint - they are v hard to get off.  Most people call in a professional service.  

Pressure wash.  But I don’t think it will  all cone off. 

Archived